Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I just want to say thanks for all the positive comments! I had a great deal of fun writing the piece and I will try another one as time permits. About the only time I have is on weekends and I will put something together before too long. I suspect the next read along will be a 1990 hunt in Alberta Canada for black bear. I have a lot of pictures to support that trip.
I eventually want to get to some Alaskan hunts that I think others may enjoy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I usually skim over posts as long as that one, but I thoroughly enjoyed that read, word for word. I am going on my first ever elk hunt this October. This will be my first time out west.. I've never seen the rockies ..

-------------------------------------------

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I've made that 287 haul several times. The ride home is always easier with meat in the cooler. I've had the good fortune of sharing an elk camp with Mark. A fine sportsman for sure.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
W said:
I've made that 287 haul several times. The ride home is always easier with meat in the cooler. I've had the good fortune of sharing an elk camp with Mark. A fine sportsman for sure.
Ha! 287 is brutal! I think a lot of it is that if you leave in the morning from Ms, then 287 often becomes an all night travel event. The effects of lack of sleep, predawn travel, and the sheer monotony of this stretch works against you. I really enjoyed that trip with you Warren...hopefully we can do it again in the not too distant future.

Just in case anyone is interested, I have another story on a 1990 Canadian bear hunt almost done. I really had it mostly completed two weeks ago; but life intervened. I've been traveling on business a great deal lately. Maybe I can post it sometime this weekend

·
Registered
412 Posts
Stringwacker said:
Just in case anyone is interested, I have another story on a 1990 Canadian bear hunt almost done. I really had it mostly completed two weeks ago; but life intervened. I've been traveling on business a great deal lately. Maybe I can post it sometime this weekend
I want to make a request for the story of the elk in your profile picture!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
nate12285 said:
I want to make a request for the story of the elk in your profile picture!
I posted a new story on the bear hunt. In many cases, I'm selecting the stories based on whether it was an interesting hunt and if I have enough pictures to support it. I'll do the elk story next which was in 2005, though I'm a bit short on pictures due to some unique circumstances that will become evident in the story.

Thanks for the request.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I know this is an old post but Stringwacker thought I would enjoy re-reading this as I am planning to head to Colorado this September to chase elk. Thanks Mark for the suggestion, it was well worth the read! I plan on reading your other stories next. Kevin

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Glad you guys enjoyed it! I had written it before the last change in the design of the site; and when it flipped over, everywhere I put a comma; changed to a question mark! At least photobucket is now unblocked so the pictures are back up.

Good luck on your upcoming elk hunt Kevin!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Good read....not sure how I missed it in 2013.
Made my first trip to CO in '77. Hunted south of Norwood which is beyond Montrose a bit. Once you go, it's in your blood for sure. Took my son there for his 14th birthday and he took a fine 4x4 muley opening morning before I got settled in good. Now, over 30 years later, he lives in CO. Yip, gets in your blood.

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts

This is a pic from an aerial survey in March this year that I got from the area biologist taken in the unit I'm headed to this September for 14 days. He gave "ideas" on where they will be come archery season.

Believe it or not this is an open unit (no draw required). That's all I'm going to say, other than hot dog I'm excited!!!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.