Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Congrats on the birds, thrill. Enjoyed the read. Stud of a GA bird!

What week were you hunting MS? You hunt the centralish part of state, right? Just curious as to your experience with non-responsive gobblers.

·
Registered
539 Posts
DH88, I was south in Lincoln around first part of April. I heard several other guys mentioning similar behavior but then there are those that had birds gobble every other breath and walk headfirst into their grave. [shootin]

Were you in the area? Have similar experiences?

Congrats on the birds, thrill. Enjoyed the read. Stud of a GA bird!

What week were you hunting MS? You hunt the centralish part of state, right? Just curious as to your experience with non-responsive gobblers.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
DH88, I was south in Lincoln around first part of April. I heard several other guys mentioning similar behavior but then there are those that had birds gobble every other breath and walk headfirst into their grave. [shootin]

Were you in the area? Have similar experiences?
No, not in the area. Just from past experiences birds seem to do their thing a bit earlier with early green up. Which leads me to believe there is a little more to the process than strictly photo period. Already getting poult reports way up in north MS. Which is definitely early.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Somewhere in the eastern US

And that's how it's done fellas !!! You don't have to say what state !!!
Another epic season . Now ,,, somebody find this dude a wife and save a few gobblers lives 🤔
Just imagine mindy if you watch THP!!!!!! She could cook and travel with him and apparently does most the driving. Hunt all day then come in to a hot meal????? Be careful what you ask for apparently those ladies are out there!!!!!! He just needs one kid that plays youth sports to slow him down a tad😁

·
Registered
9,755 Posts
Bonus birds! Taken from here, there, and yonder!
14.5 lbs
9" beard
7/8" spurs

18.5 lbs
9 3/4" beard
1" spurs

24.03 lbs
9 3/4" beard
1 3/8" spurs

23.25 lbs
2 1/2" beard :)
7/8" spurs

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Dang DL, you been putting it on them!! Congrats on a great season. That ones a goodun!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
looks colonial to me . congrats man.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I hope the little fellas make it. At least she got a good hatch. Getting them hatched without a busted nest is a miracle. Now, it’ll take another miracle for 2 or 3 of them to survive the next 3 weeks. I’m sure hoping for a great hatch this year. Nice pic!! I like the way your grass is short. My plots are waist high already. You’ve put some effort into yours!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Well.....that’s a 9 acre field and where the pic was taken is recently planted chufa. The middle is corn and the east end is durana clover. There is also a fruit tree orchard. A lot goes into it, but we love it. The negative is that there’s a big cat that caught a mature gobbler in that field a month ago. Made me sick. Hope the old hen keeps her eyes peeled!!! If she raises 3 I’ll be tickled

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
The mothers are working hard on repopulating after this COVID season..

61 - 80 of 80 Posts