Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that deer processors come and go with regularity. Last year, I found Jelens Deer Processing near my home (thanks to a Bullnettler member) and was 100% happy with the product and how clean the operation was. Well this year, after 16 years of business... they have ceased operations.

I think I have said before that other than smoked sausage, I can't really say venison is my favorite though Jelens had a rib eye trim burger that was really good.

Does anyone have any recommendations for any East Central Ms processors? Anyone that has cooler space and doesn't require you to leave your ice chest is a definite plus.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used Vans a great deal when I lived in Brandon many years ago; other than one time I never had a problem. Smoked sausage is very good. I eventually tried Southeastern Processors in Lauderdale for small order of sausage.

I guess I will see how that turns out.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have used Pap's in Morton for years. From time to time I will use Van's in Brandon or P&A in Pearl jus to change it up. I like all 3. I will ask some of my buddies out that way who they use and get back to you.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions. I've never tried Pap's so its good that someone likes them. I used Myers a couple of seasons back and they were okay but really not anything special in my opinion.

I have a Backwoods price list; but never heard of them. Might have to try Boondocks. I do wish Stricks were closer!

What I REALLY wish was that Jelen's hadn't closed in Madden!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think Dwight's is in Raymond? That would be a very long trip given I'm from Union. I had some smoked elk sausage done there years ago when I lived in Brandon and I have to say it was outstanding!

I can't really say I like venison like some people do. I can eat it fried, smoked sausage variations when its made well, and Mississippi pot roast. Burger has to be made a part of something else; but other than taco's I haven't found anything that I like it in. Spaghetti is okay; but I know its deer.
I've always wanted a fresh breakfast patty, but no matter what I've tried I can hardly choke it down.

I'm always looking for something new and different. Over in Flora, the Flora Butcher makes burger with Wagyu beef fat. Anything that is made from the trimmings of an $80 a pound steak has to be good right? If it wasn't so darn far (5 hour round trip; two times required) I would be going back. Jelen's had the ribeye trim deer burger that was better than anything I ever had in deer burger..... but they closed.

Just to keep the thread going, does your processor offer anything unique; other than the usual coarse grind with added beef or pork fat?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If you really want unique, try the Sweet Heat jerky links made by Adrian at Hunter's Gold processing. He is just over the AL line from Columbus outside of Milport, AL. Adrian is from South Africa and does some amazing sausages. The Sweet Heat is made from 7 kinds of fruit. He doesn't keep a website anymore but does maintain a Facebook page. Log into Facebook

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that’s awesome. Given I hunt in north central Ms; that not totally out of the question. All I need to do is keep some frozen at my camp and wait for a dreary rainy day

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Now that’s awesome. Given I hunt in north central Ms; that not totally out of the question. All I need to do is keep some frozen at my camp and wait for a dreary rainy day
Actually, Adrian gets totally backed up about mid season to where he can't do "unfrozen" turnaround. Therefore, he recommends you freeze and hold it until things slow down. There are lots of his customers that wait until after season to even start bringing in deer.

As a side note, I first found out about this guy from a member of an online shooting group I belong to. We had a shoot get-together and a member brought some "experimental" wild pig sausage that Adrian had made just for him. The version I tried was made with garlic and green onion and it had a layer of cream cheese down through the middle. When you cut into it, the cream cheese oozed out. That was the best sausage I have ever had in my life.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks DoyleAlley....I will keep that in mind.

What I think would be great is deer processor reviews by people who have actually used them. There have been quite a few on here already and that really helps.

I just got my first order back from South East Deer Processors; located just SE of Meridian on Hwy 19. I had a good friend that had said he had heard good things about them though he hadn't actually went himself. The location was very clean and didn't smell. Had to leave your cooler and pretty much orders are no touch by the management as you just fill out a card and leave it. Cash only.

I always wanted to try the Pineapple (and brown sugar) smoked sausage variation but being a mild diabetic I had always stayed away from it. As you might understand that any sweet to a diabetic taste really good as you don't each much of it. Anyway, I got the sausage back with a fast turnaround time all vacuum packed. The sausage was a nice color so I tried it yesterday morning after thawing a smaller pack.

First thing I noticed was the sausage was very lean and loosely packed in the casing. This caused it to burn and blacken the pan at my normal heat setting. In addition, the loose casing fit caused the sausage to somewhat crumble apart. On the positive note, the sausage was extremely tender (a term that you don't often associate with smoked sausage) and would have worked well with a split biscuit if I could eat one:)

The taste?.....unbelievably good! I've never made a pan of sausage and liked it so well that a made a second one. A Metformin tablet was in order for those who know what that is.

Soooo....I don't really know if I had a poorly made sausage that taste good; or, an excellent made sausage that was designed for the flavor that I selected. Maybe a lot of fat doesn't compliment pineapple and brown sugar?

A second trip there is definitely in order.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own Rack Shack Outdoors and we were closed last season due to Covid and relocating our business. We are now open in our new facility and processing for our customers already this year.
Located 6520 Hwy 16 Benton, MS 39039 662.314.4240 Open 7 days a week
Offering full service processing - We offer deer cleaning or accept meat frozen, bone in or boneless.
(previously located on Exit 124 Canton, MS Exit)
Less than 20 minutes from our previous location take Hwy 16 towards Yazoo City
(we're between Dollar General and Benton Farm Supply)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts