Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The truck is fueled, loaded and parked waiting on my 3:30am departure for SE Kansas. I'm hoping by 3:30 pm I will be at my lodging destination in the "Land of Ah's" as the locals prefer it to be called. (as opposed to the title of the movie that featured Judy Garland, Toto, the Tinman and the flying monkeys) It will will be a short nights sleep but I grown to expect sleep to always be elusive anyway before any hunt that holds great promise. I'm sure that we all know that the expectations of any hunt usually falls short in reality; but the excitement of the possibilities beforehand keeps us going back. That's true whether your destination is for some wilderness big game in Alaska or merely rabbits in the Mississippi delta.

I will write and post pictures of this hunt because I like to keep daily entries that I can go back and read. In addition, maybe it will keep a few folks entertained and the forum active. Who knows, maybe something good will happen and speak well for the traditional method of bowhunting. If not, I'm sure I (we) will have still a good time. I know you understand.

See you with a little luck in Kansas tomorrow.....

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well as you might imagine, there is not a great deal to talk about on a travel day. One thing that I did do was take a quick look at the Mined Lands Wildlife area. Mined Lands consist of 13,000 acres covering 43 miles in a series of blocks. What makes ML unique is it made up of over 1000 strip pits filled with water due to surface mining by one machine that worked 24/7 from 1962 to 1974.

The shovel was run by electricity and took 103 rail cars and 52 men working 11 months to assemble. It weighs approximately 10,300,000 pounds, is 16 stories (160 ft) tall and if all the strips were connected would have dug over 1300 miles in the 11 year period at a speed of .22/miles an hour!

After 11 years of operation, it was no longer feasible to surface mine coal so in 1974 when the coal company couldn’t get an increase for the cost of coal; Big Brutus dug itself out of the 60 ft trench it had dug and was turned off for good. Eventually all the Coal lands were donated to the Kansas State Parks and Big Brutus was given to a non-profit who has a museum and the machine on public display.

I stopped by this afternoon and visited the museum and witnessed the second largest land machine ever built (see picture) it’s pretty awesome!

Tomorrow I meet with the Kansas State Parks at 8:00 for my orientation before getting access to a truly remarkable area. More on that tomorrow I hope as I should get some hunting in!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Today was a rainfest complete with enough wind to make me uncomfortable.

An orientation took place this morning and it didn’t conclude until past 10. That really crowded the day in terms of scouting the area and getting two stands hung.

Out of 20 folks who drew a lottery permit; I drew number 2 so that really made me happy as I could pretty much pin the map anywhere I wanted for the first selection. It turned out to be great as I am at the intersection of three trails that are tearing across a creek. Looks like someone went crazy with a Murray Tiller! Tomorrow will be interesting!

My second selection was number 22 so I just picked a creek drainage with no one near it. I found another creek crossing; not nearly as good as the first one….but still promising.

I finished the last stand placement about 5:30 in the rain. Given I was wet as a duck and there wasn’t much more than an hour left of daylight in the cold dreary gray skies, I decided to leave everything to rest and hit it tomorrow.

The bucks aren’t chasing yet but I likely saw 20 deer today; but no good bucks. It should get much better by the end of this week as the rut kicks in full steam. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
5 Posts

An orientation took place this morning and it didn’t conclude until past 10. That really crowded the day in terms of scouting the area and getting two stands hung.

Out of 20 folks who drew a lottery permit; I drew number 2 so that really made me happy as I could pretty much pin the map anywhere I wanted for the first selection. It turned out to be great as I am at the intersection of three trails that are tearing across a creek. Looks like someone went crazy with a Murray Tiller! Tomorrow will be interesting!

My second selection was number 22 so I just picked a creek drainage with no one near it. I found another creek crossing; not nearly as good as the first one….but still promising.

I finished the last stand placement about 5:30 in the rain. Given I was wet as a duck and there wasn’t much more than an hour left of daylight in the cold dreary gray skies, I decided to leave everything to rest and hit it tomorrow.

The bucks aren’t chasing yet but I likely saw 20 deer today; but no good bucks. It should get much better by the end of this week as the rut kicks in full steam. Stay tuned!

Welcome to Kansas. Sounds like you got lucky on your 1st pick. Bucks should be starting to move anytime. Can’t wait for the daily reports. Good luck, I hear there’s some nice ones running around.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Today was friggin unbelievable. I think I saw over 50 whitetails today with about 35 of those at my stand by the creek crossing. As I got to my stand I scattered about 20 in a 10/10 split east and west. Tails were bouncing in all directions!

I hastily climbed my stand and proceeded to slam the millinieum tree seat on my thumb; splitting the nail the entire length. Not a good start for a day that had so much promise. Undeterred, I nocked an arrow and sit all of 15 minutes before a doe came from behind me and started crunching acorns. Given you have to sit out the following year that you draw unless you take a doe….I let it rip at 12 yards and shot under her. Yea…I missed. The worst part is she ran over and broke my very best wood arrow!!!
I guess I liked it so much 45 minutes later I did it again. Me trying to shoot a bow today was like someone trying to dribble a football; it just wasn’t going to happen. I have lots of valid reasons but in the end I just missed.

Of course I was there to kill the P&Y and Booners so it was just a doe. It wasn’t the end of the world I guess. I’m just flushing it and starting tomorrow as a new day.

Deer filtered through the woods from 8 to 11 and from 3 to 5 today. I eventually saw 15 from the stand on my acorn flat and it was likely the best day of bowhunting in terms of numbers I ever had.

Deer were all over the roads going in and out. Of all the deer I saw; I only saw one buck that I knew of. He crossed in front of me at 55 yards at 3 pm. He was a nice 8 pointer but not a trophy.

The rut hasn’t kicked in yet. Should be any day now. When the rut starts; this place will get crazy.

I know of only one buck taken today…a 136 P&Y. Just a baby deer here.

Bentstick54, glad your here. Should be great for your trip in a couple of weeks!

Stayed tuned. The wind is changing tomorrow and not in my favor. May hunt the creek crossing/acorn flat in the am and my other stand pm.

Lets hope my shooting improves!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Today was friggin unbelievable. I think I saw over 50 whitetails today with about 35 of those at my stand by the creek crossing. As I got to my stand I scattered about 20 in a 10/10 split east and west. Tails were bouncing in all directions!

I hastily climbed my stand and proceeded to slam the millinieum tree seat on my thumb; splitting the nail the entire length. Not a good start for a day that had so much promise. Undeterred, I nocked an arrow and sit all of 15 minutes before a doe came from behind me and started crunching acorns. Given you have to sit out the following year that you draw unless you take a doe….I let it rip at 12 yards and shot under her. Yea…I missed. The worst part is she ran over and broke my very best wood arrow!!!
I guess I liked it so much 45 minutes later I did it again. Me trying to shoot a bow today was like someone trying to dribble a football; it just wasn’t going to happen. I have lots of valid reasons but in the end I just missed.

Of course I was there to kill the P&Y and Booners so it was just a doe. It wasn’t the end of the world I guess. I’m just flushing it and starting tomorrow as a new day.

Deer filtered through the woods from 8 to 11 and from 3 to 5 today. I eventually saw 15 from the stand on my acorn flat and it was likely the best day of bowhunting in terms of numbers I ever had.

Deer were all over the roads going in and out. Of all the deer I saw; I only saw one buck that I knew of. He crossed in front of me at 55 yards at 3 pm. He was a nice 8 pointer but not a trophy.

The rut hasn’t kicked in yet. Should be any day now. When the rut starts; this place will get crazy.

I know of only one buck taken today…a 136 P&Y. Just a baby deer here.

Bentstick54, glad your here. Should be great for your trip in a couple of weeks!

Stayed tuned. The wind is changing tomorrow and not in my favor. May hunt the creek crossing/acorn flat in the am and my other stand pm.

Lets hope my shooting improves!
Man smashing that thumb sucks. Hope it doesn’t give you to much trouble shooting. Sounds like your stand choice is turning out great. Where there’s does, soon there will be bucks. Temperatures the next 3 days should be in your favor if the wind works for you. Good luck tomorrow, shoot straight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dang sorry to hear about your thumb, that made me cringe. I hope it doesn't affect your shooting anymore. Keep your mind clear and not think about that thumb and your next arrow will hit it's mark. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stringwhacker…..I will be hunting there next week 11/9-11/16. Will be following along to see how you do. During safety meeting, did they show you all a slideshow of some of the bucks they have on trail camera this year? If so, any good ones to speak of? By your description above, they let you put 2 stands up during the hunt? Thx, -Jason-

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The day started well. At 7:05 this morning on the drive in about a mile from where I was going to hunt, I saw a doe about to run in front of me. It was still dark so I had my bright lights on and as she crossed I saw a buck right on her heels. I was dead stopped as he ran 10 yards ahead in my high beams. Biggest buck I ever saw; at least 5 long points on both sides. Easy a 150 or 160 deer!

The trip to the stand was uneventful. The morning was rather slow though I did see 7 deer. Every time a doe started to get close; the haphazard wind would betray me. Funny thing about these deer is when say smell you they just slightly raise their flag and take a couple of those indignant prancing steps….and go back to feeding in another direction. I have yet had a deer stomp it’s feet or even snort!

This afternoon was very slow as I saw one doe. The wind is playing havoc as its extremely variable and every deer I saw today knew where I was at before they got close. This would have been a great day for sightings anywhere but here. You just expect more here.

People don’t come here just to see deer or shoot doe; they come from all over to kill the gagger bucks. Crestedbutte, they show a slide show first of the legendary bucks they have captured on trail cameras in the past; then the ones from this year. You will be impressed! That said I will have to give you a demerit for naming the area:) No worries as it was a bad kept secret. I was dropping clues along the way. Once you buy a $447 non-resident license to try to draw one of the highly sought after 20 licenses in a given week; it becomes evident that it’s expensive spin at the roulette wheel.

I will close by saying I need a change of strategy as I’m not seeing the bucks and I’m being busted by the does. You do get two stand locations by order of your draw slip but I’m going for broke by moving my 2nd stand location next to my first one to have a bigger swath of assigned territory. Probably will just use one stand to easier move with the daily changing conditions.

With a little (lot of) luck maybe I will have a better report tomorrow. The bucks ought to really be chasing
next week for Crestedbutte.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts