Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stringwhacker…..I will be hunting there next week 11/9-11/16. Will be following along to see how you do. During safety meeting, did they show you all a slideshow of some of the bucks they have on trail camera this year? If so, any good ones to speak of? By your description above, they let you put 2 stands up during the hunt? Thx, -Jason-

·
Registered
6 Posts
The day started well. At 7:05 this morning on the drive in about a mile from where I was going to hunt, I saw a doe about to run in front of me. It was still dark so I had my bright lights on and as she crossed I saw a buck right on her heels. I was dead stopped as he ran 10 yards ahead in my high beams. Biggest buck I ever saw; at least 5 long points on both sides. Easy a 150 or 160 deer!

The trip to the stand was uneventful. The morning was rather slow though I did see 7 deer. Every time a doe started to get close; the haphazard wind would betray me. Funny thing about these deer is when say smell you they just slightly raise their flag and take a couple of those indignant prancing steps….and go back to feeding in another direction. I have yet had a deer stomp it’s feet or even snort!

This afternoon was very slow as I saw one doe. The wind is playing havoc as its extremely variable and every deer I saw today knew where I was at before they got close. This would have been a great day for sightings anywhere but here. You just expect more here.

People don’t come here just to see deer or shoot doe; they come from all over to kill the gagger bucks. Crestedbutte, they show a slide show first of the legendary bucks they have captured on trail cameras in the past; then the ones from this year. You will be impressed! That said I will have to give you a demerit for naming the area:) No worries as it was a bad kept secret. I was dropping clues along the way. Once you buy a $447 non-resident license to try to draw one of the highly sought after 20 licenses in a given week; it becomes evident that it’s expensive spin at the roulette wheel.

I will close by saying I need a change of strategy as I’m not seeing the bucks and I’m being busted by the does. You do get two stand locations by order of your draw slip but I’m going for broke by moving my 2nd stand location next to my first one to have a bigger swath of assigned territory. Probably will just use one stand to easier move with the daily changing conditions.

With a little (lot of) luck maybe I will have a better report tomorrow. The bucks ought to really be chasing
next week for Crestedbutte.
I edited my post to remove name/location. My sincere apologies, didn’t even realize you were trying to keep it on the down low. I too will be doing a daily report during my hunt there next week that will include pic’s and videos. It will be included in my thread over on Bowsite/KS Forum/CB’s 2021 Hunting Journal. Go over there and take a peek as I have started my journal from my recent 2 hunts thus far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to my time hunting there next week. My goal is a doe first and buck second. Sounds like it is a target rich environment for does. Glad KS was good to you and have a safe trip back to MS. -CB-

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW….Oklahoma also has an incredible Traditional only bowhunting opportunity in the MAAP (McAlester Army Ammunition Plant) Controlled Deer Hunt. Look’em up on Facebook and make sure you scroll down to see their Aug. 12th post…WOW!

Applications are open to non-res. and is an opportunity not to be missed. They kill a bunch of big bucks each year! If big enough then you get to plant a rock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stringwacker….how are the conditions of the roads on the “place”? Supposed to get a lot of rain on Wed. 11/10. Are the roads decent sand/gravel or terrible mud holes and washouts? Thx, -CB-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts