Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The day started well. At 7:05 this morning on the drive in about a mile from where I was going to hunt, I saw a doe about to run in front of me. It was still dark so I had my bright lights on and as she crossed I saw a buck right on her heels. I was dead stopped as he ran 10 yards ahead in my high beams. Biggest buck I ever saw; at least 5 long points on both sides. Easy a 150 or 160 deer!

The trip to the stand was uneventful. The morning was rather slow though I did see 7 deer. Every time a doe started to get close; the haphazard wind would betray me. Funny thing about these deer is when say smell you they just slightly raise their flag and take a couple of those indignant prancing steps….and go back to feeding in another direction. I have yet had a deer stomp it’s feet or even snort!

This afternoon was very slow as I saw one doe. The wind is playing havoc as its extremely variable and every deer I saw today knew where I was at before they got close. This would have been a great day for sightings anywhere but here. You just expect more here.

People don’t come here just to see deer or shoot doe; they come from all over to kill the gagger bucks. Crestedbutte, they show a slide show first of the legendary bucks they have captured on trail cameras in the past; then the ones from this year. You will be impressed! That said I will have to give you a demerit for naming the area:) No worries as it was a bad kept secret. I was dropping clues along the way. Once you buy a $447 non-resident license to try to draw one of the highly sought after 20 licenses in a given week; it becomes evident that it’s expensive spin at the roulette wheel.

I will close by saying I need a change of strategy as I’m not seeing the bucks and I’m being busted by the does. You do get two stand locations by order of your draw slip but I’m going for broke by moving my 2nd stand location next to my first one to have a bigger swath of assigned territory. Probably will just use one stand to easier move with the daily changing conditions.

With a little (lot of) luck maybe I will have a better report tomorrow. The bucks ought to really be chasing
next week for Crestedbutte.
You need a little more of our Kansas breeze than you had today. It’s usually steadier and comes from 1 general direction. When it’s very slight it tends to change directions frequently. The stronger wind helps disperse your scent. Tomorrow looks pretty calm also, but you never know, it can change in a heartbeat. Just like the buck movement. Keep after them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The day started well. At 7:05 this morning on the drive in about a mile from where I was going to hunt, I saw a doe about to run in front of me. It was still dark so I had my bright lights on and as she crossed I saw a buck right on her heels. I was dead stopped as he ran 10 yards ahead in my high beams. Biggest buck I ever saw; at least 5 long points on both sides. Easy a 150 or 160 deer!

The trip to the stand was uneventful. The morning was rather slow though I did see 7 deer. Every time a doe started to get close; the haphazard wind would betray me. Funny thing about these deer is when say smell you they just slightly raise their flag and take a couple of those indignant prancing steps….and go back to feeding in another direction. I have yet had a deer stomp it’s feet or even snort!

This afternoon was very slow as I saw one doe. The wind is playing havoc as its extremely variable and every deer I saw today knew where I was at before they got close. This would have been a great day for sightings anywhere but here. You just expect more here.

People don’t come here just to see deer or shoot doe; they come from all over to kill the gagger bucks. Crestedbutte, they show a slide show first of the legendary bucks they have captured on trail cameras in the past; then the ones from this year. You will be impressed! That said I will have to give you a demerit for naming the area:) No worries as it was a bad kept secret. I was dropping clues along the way. Once you buy a $447 non-resident license to try to draw one of the highly sought after 20 licenses in a given week; it becomes evident that it’s expensive spin at the roulette wheel.

I will close by saying I need a change of strategy as I’m not seeing the bucks and I’m being busted by the does. You do get two stand locations by order of your draw slip but I’m going for broke by moving my 2nd stand location next to my first one to have a bigger swath of assigned territory. Probably will just use one stand to easier move with the daily changing conditions.

With a little (lot of) luck maybe I will have a better report tomorrow. The bucks ought to really be chasing
next week for Crestedbutte.
I edited my post to remove name/location. My sincere apologies, didn’t even realize you were trying to keep it on the down low. I too will be doing a daily report during my hunt there next week that will include pic’s and videos. It will be included in my thread over on Bowsite/KS Forum/CB’s 2021 Hunting Journal. Go over there and take a peek as I have started my journal from my recent 2 hunts thus far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Keep after them Stringwacker, hopefully the wind gives you a break this year.

Got the roof replaced the past 2 days and a couple other things taken care. I am headed to Roxie for the weekend with the stick and see if I can finally make it happen.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Crestedbutte, there is no foul as I would tell anyone if they ask. As you know it’s a public area so no matter whether 250 people put in or a thousand; the draw is the same to insure quality hunting. The forum guidelines in the past has discouraged disclosure of the public lands being hunted. I would suspect that is a thing of the past as the traffic on the Bull is a fraction of what it used to be.

The area has limited cell coverage and I’m amazed at how I miss keeping in touch with everything. Being a pretty solid traditionalist in mind and spirit, it’s a disclosure that is painful to make; as when it didn’t exist…. I didn’t miss it. I guess I could say that about a lot of things.

Wind is still variable in hindsight the proper stands to bring should have been a loc on and a climber as the climber changes position easily and there are enough oaks to make it work. They absolutely don’t care if you use a saw (they actually want you to) so you can saw your way to the top…….

Well that was fast. I was typing in I phone notes to paste later tonight. I looked up and saw 4 or 5 does being pushed around about 100 yards from my stand. I eventually saw a much larger deer in body size but the antlers looked small. Apparently, all participates were just play acting for the real show as the buck broke off; crossed one of the three creek crossings and headed to me. This was the first deer of the 60+ that I had seen earlier that actually played by the script; coming to me as I had set my stand to anticipate.

As the buck approached closer, he started looking better to me. Good spread, long beams with tall times. I knew that if I was from Kansas, they would just call this a baby deer.

But I “ain’t” from Kansas.

This deer would be in my top two deer with a bow and I could hunt years where I do without seeing this type of buck. This dude was playing the game as designed; we all know that is rare.

At a total distance of 11 yards, I drew without the buck knowing I was above him. I shot and pin wheeled him tight behind the shoulder with the Douglas fir arrow and Zwicky broadhead. He went about 60 yards and went down as a “thump” in the woods. I could tell you about a 63 year old fat guy trying to
move a likely 225 pound deer over a mile; but it’s not interesting and we all have been there. I’m having Tylenol tonight for supper:)

The buck is a main frame 8 with a small kicker; scores awful, and is small I guess by some subjective standard. Out of the 20 participates, 6 had already tagged bucks and mine was likely 25 points smaller than the smallest one.

Ask me if I care. I had a great time in Kansas and am grateful for the state of Kansas to have given me this opportunity! I’m happy with my buck and make no apologies.

Just wait until next year. I will get a big one then!

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Crestedbutte, there is no foul as I would tell anyone if they ask. As you know it’s a public area so no matter whether 250 people put in or a thousand; the draw is the same to insure quality hunting. The forum guidelines in the past has discouraged disclosure of the public lands being hunted. I would suspect that is a thing of the past as the traffic on the Bull is a fraction of what it used to be.

The area has limited cell coverage and I’m amazed at how I miss keeping in touch with everything. Being a pretty solid traditionalist in mind and spirit, it’s a disclosure that is painful to make; as when it didn’t exist…. I didn’t miss it. I guess I could say that about a lot of things.

Wind is still variable in hindsight the proper stands to bring should have been a loc on and a climber as the climber changes position easily and there are enough oaks to make it work. They absolutely don’t care if you use a saw (they actually want you to) so you can saw your way to the top…….

Well that was fast. I was typing in I phone notes to paste later tonight. I looked up and saw 4 or 5 does being pushed around about 100 yards from my stand. I eventually saw a much larger deer in body size but the antlers looked small. Apparently, all participates were just play acting for the real show as the buck broke off; crossed one of the three creek crossings and headed to me. This was the first deer of the 60+ that I had seen earlier that actually played by the script; coming to me as I had set my stand to anticipate.

As the buck approached closer, he started looking better to me. Good spread, long beams with tall times. I knew that if I was from Kansas, they would just call this a baby deer.

But I “ain’t” from Kansas.

This deer would be in my top two deer with a bow and I could hunt years where I do without seeing this type of buck. This dude was playing the game as designed; we all know that is rare.

At a total distance of 11 yards, I drew without the buck knowing I was above him. I shot and pin wheeled him tight behind the shoulder with the Douglas fir arrow and Zwicky broadhead. He went about 60 yards and went down as a “thump” in the woods. I could tell you about a 63 year old fat guy trying to
move a likely 225 pound deer over a mile; but it’s not interesting and we all have been there. I’m having Tylenol tonight for supper:)

The buck is a main frame 8 with a small kicker; scores awful, and is small I guess by some subjective standard. Out of the 20 participates, 6 had already tagged bucks and mine was likely 25 points smaller than the smallest one.

Ask me if I care. I had a great time in the state of Kansas and am grateful for the state of Kansas to have given me this opportunity! I’m happy with my buck and make no apologies.

Just wait until next year. I will get a big one then!
I,m a born and raised Kansan, have at least 45 years of deer hunting in Kansas, both rifle and trad archery, and that’s more antlers than I have to date. Still hoping.
Congratulations. Nothing wrong with that buck in my book. You sticking around to shoot a doe?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Unfortunately on the wildlife area once you shoot a buck your hunt is over. The doe is applicable only when it’s before the buck.

Thanks for the comments! I had a great time. I have to sit out a year but year after next I will reapply!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unfortunately on the wildlife area once you shoot a buck your hunt is over. The doe is applicable only when it’s before the buck.

Thanks for the comments! I had a great time. I have to sit out a year but year after next I will reapply!
I did not realize that. You would think if they wanted to thin down the doe population they wouldn’t care if it was before or after the buck. Just out of curiosity, do you know how many does were shot so far?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to my time hunting there next week. My goal is a doe first and buck second. Sounds like it is a target rich environment for does. Glad KS was good to you and have a safe trip back to MS. -CB-

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I think both of you are going to center punch the rut; it might start in two or three days but my money would be that it will be raging next week and continuing into the next. Those doe are important as they allow you to re-apply next year without sitting out a year.

As far as how many doe I’m not sure. Most folks don’t want to fool with them though the wildlife officials practically beg the hunters to shoot them. I saw a sheet of harvest and I counted the bucks (the best one was 162)….but I didn’t pay that much attention to the doe kill. It didn’t jump out to me as a lot….maybe 5 or 6 I think

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who checked in and to those who took the time to comment. As I think I mentioned, it was a great hunt with big bucks and a high population of deer.

Being a bowhunter, I am always amazed at how Midwest states often set up these types of quality hunts with the archer in mind. It’s a structure that works for them apparently. I could never imagine the our state setting aside 13,500 acres as a bowhunting only environment. I’m glad someone does

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
With your “cryptic” post earlier I figured you had some luck…congrats! I would’ve sent an arrow his way if he’d walked by me too!
The most fun I ever had was on a Kansas hunt in 2014…and I never loosed an arrow. Saw some nice bucks, does the size of cows, and got to experience what a real rut looks like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW….Oklahoma also has an incredible Traditional only bowhunting opportunity in the MAAP (McAlester Army Ammunition Plant) Controlled Deer Hunt. Look’em up on Facebook and make sure you scroll down to see their Aug. 12th post…WOW!

Applications are open to non-res. and is an opportunity not to be missed. They kill a bunch of big bucks each year! If big enough then you get to plant a rock.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I couldn’t agree more. The drive in lined with rocks representing PY bucks is impressive.
I have made three trips there (though none recently) and had a great time on each.

The only thing that I wish could change is for the hunt to last longer than 2 1/2 days and there to be
more than two toilets for the 300 people! There is anguish on many faces at 5:00 am:)

Hopefully things have changed in the last 10 years or so. I would love to
make another trip back. This hunt should be on any traditional bowhunters wish list….

21 - 40 of 48 Posts