Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats deadliest round you've ever seen fired from a 243? I am pretty positive they are all deadly, but whats the most devistating? Thanks in advance...

DD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will there be an exit hole?  I shot some Ballistic Silvertips in my rifle and had one snap/misfire while at the range.  I decided not to hunt with them because of that..  Should I go back and try them out?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
You gonna have to ask Bullie or one of them with that question I think they squirrel hunt with them .  Naw just pickin . I never saw a 243 have too much damage at all. I have seen alot of deer shot with it and never any blood trail.

·
Registered
444 Posts
A Nosler Partition is the best bullet I've shot in 243. Holds together very well and punches a good hole all the way through. Alot of your ballistic tips and others loaded in 243 do a considerable amount of damage on the inside, but usually don't get a pass through on a good sized deer. Partitions hold just enough weight and energy to pass through and do major damage. My 2nd choice would be a core lokt. I've had good results with both.

·
Registered
432 Posts
there may be an exit hole and there may not be one. If you really want an exit hole then maybe you should go to a bigger calibur rifle. With the silver tips the entry and exit(if one) will be small just like with any bullet shot out of a .243 but the ballistics have caused a lot of interior rupturing for me. The .243 just isn't gonna leave a good blood trail because of hole size but they will bleed out on the inside. I started shooting them out of a .243 years ago and now shoot them out of my 7mm-08 and won't shoot anything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I amy try them out this year.  I have a 30-06, but I really fell in love with this little 243.  I killed three with it last year.  I was shooting the federal powershoks.  I like those bullets but want a little more damage..  I dont have to have an exit hole cause they usually dont go to far when hit through the lungs.  Has anybody shot the federal ballistic tips in 243, only thing is they are so high..

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
We shoot a 95 grain ballstic silvertip in our 243 wssm, big deer no exit wound but plenty of blood. Excellent damage inside, absolutely no complaint.
SmileyCentral.com

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
My dad has been using the cheap winchester 80gr soft points for 30 years and has only lost one deer and my brother killed it later in the season and he was hit high and was just fine. Most of those deer dropped dead so I can't say much about blood trails.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't like the slivertips just because you rarely if ever get an exit wound. Try the Nosler Accubond. Now that's a great bullet that expands big time. The bullet retains most of its weight and you get a BIG exit wound.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My son has kill quite a few with just plan old 100 gr. Remington Core-loc. Has never lost one YET. He has never shot one that it did not pass through and without good blood.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I reloaded Sierra 85gr hollow points for my .243. shot a buck at 45yds. He took 10 steps and fell dead. It took a while to find the entry hole, because there was no blood on the hair. It had no exit hole. The bullet hit a rib and disentergrated inside the deer. If I had not seen the deer fall, I would not have had a way to track him without a blood trail. Never used them again.

·
Registered
523 Posts
DeathDealer said:
Will there be an exit hole? I shot some Ballistic Silvertips in my rifle and had one snap/misfire while at the range. I decided not to hunt with them because of that.. Should I go back and try them out?
I shoot this bullet in my 300 and my sons 243 and never had a misfire. Yes, there should be an exit wound unless you hit them shoulders just right, but I can assure you this is one mean bullet.

·
Registered
523 Posts
wtm20 said:
I don't like the slivertips just because you rarely if ever get an exit wound. Try the Nosler Accubond. Now that's a great bullet that expands big time. The bullet retains most of its weight and you get a BIG exit wound.
We almost always get an exit wound.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts