Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where did you see them? I looked on Barnes website for the 180 gr TTSX bullet for reloading and they didn't even have them listed. Double Tap offers them as a loaded bullet and now Barnes is loading them for their Vor Tx line too? SWEET!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hope they are good bullets, I bought a box of 180s for my 35 and two boxes of 150s for my 30-06. I've shot barnes bullets (PMCs) for 12 years now and always been satisfied.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Have a friend that got his in last week but hasn't shot yet. If they shoot good there will be at least 3-4 of us use them this year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm still kind of apprehensive about the Barnes Vor-Tx ammo. A shiny new box with cool logos is great and all but it's still Remington-loaded ammo...

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CBRADGO said:
I'm still kind of apprehensive about the Barnes Vor-Tx ammo. A shiny new box with cool logos is great and all but it's still Remington-loaded ammo...
No kidding? Now you are making me even more apprehensive about purchasing them. I was under the impression that Barnes bullets had moved from the Remington plant in Arkansas to the Barnes plant in Utah.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. I was under the impression that Barnes got bought out by Remington and Remington wanted to take advantage of the Barnes name and started loading Barnes bullets over Remington components. With the lack of QC that Remington has in their rifle ammo and components, I don't feel comfortable putting my trust and money in their products until they prove me wrong. As finicky as the .35 Whelen is in a single shot platform, I'll stick with Nosler Custom loads and neck sized handloads for the time being...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Double tap is loading the 180g barnes ttsx bullets. My son did kill 5 deer last year with the barnes vor-tx 243 80 or 85g(can't remember) ttsx. Performed good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I got one and bought 200gr. Hornady Superformace. Haven't fired it yet but will in Sept. Its just too dang hot!! [cool] But when I was looking I couldn't find any other bullets in that caliber.

·
Registered
467 Posts
A buddy of mine saw some 108 grain vortex bullets in an oct thru jan edition book from natchez shooter supply hes has been trying to call them to see if its a typo cause it just doesnt sound right does anyone know if they really make that or do yall think its a typo?

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Truckhntng said:
A buddy of mine saw some 108 grain vortex bullets in an oct thru jan edition book from natchez shooter supply hes has been trying to call them to see if its a typo cause it just doesnt sound right does anyone know if they really make that or do yall think its a typo?
I shoot 100grn barnes ttsx out of my 270wsm so that may be correct.

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Truckhntng said:
MS Sportsman said:
I shoot 100grn barnes ttsx out of my 270wsm so that may be correct.
Out of a 270, sure, but not out of a .35 A 108 in .35 would have to be dang near a round ball and the BC would be horrible.

·
Registered
573 Posts
randywallace said:
Out of a 270, sure, but not out of a .35 A 108 in .35 would have to be dang near a round ball and the BC would be horrible.
Heh, even 180gr or 200gr out of a .35 ain't that great BC ;)

180gr at .35 Whelen speeds should be fine, I'd imagine. The lead-free bullets for big game seem to hold together well so penetration shouldn't be a problem. From the .35 Remington experience my dad had, he tried 150gr in it at first but had few pass-throughs (150gr Core-Lokt way back in the '60s) and has about 75% pass-through with the 200gr Core-Lokts. Those are cup-n-core at a lot slower than .35 Whelen speeds so lead-free at Whelen speeds should hold together even better.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts