Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nosler custom ammo with 225 nosler Partition would be a good choice. My understanding is the Partition has the highest bc of all 35. cal bullets. Of course that ammo is about 50 dollars a box.

·
Registered
573 Posts
If you're looking for long range (good BC), Accubonds will probably be your best bet. Some of the lead-free may have OK BC, too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
shane256 said:
If you're looking for long range (good BC), Accubonds will probably be your best bet. Some of the lead-free may have OK BC, too.
Loaded me up some accubonds this week end to try. Didn't like the way they grouped. Going back to seirra gamekings.

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
old jim said:
I think I'm going to try the Federal fusion 180gr. It's advertised at 3000fps, maybe a good shooter?
Jim
I cant find a 180 grain .35 whelen on Federal's website, but have seen other sites offering different specs:

Able Ammo has 180 grain at 2670fps

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=118291

Federal site has a 200 grain at 2700. http://www.fusionammo.com/ballistics/rifle.aspx?id=877

Sportsman's Guide has 180 grain at 2700. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/federal-fusion-35-whelen-180-gr-20-rds.aspx?a=286527&bi=185911

Odd thing is most advertise that it is Federal load number F35FS1 which should be the 200 grain at 2700 [confused]

·
Registered
569 Posts
tha bugman said:
I want one of these guns so bad but heard do much about misfires
Mine done that about the second week i had it. I took it back to the dealer and all they done was had to replace the spring or something to do with the firing pin. They said that most of that years TC Prohunter Encores had to have that piece replaced with a stronger one. It took just a few minutes and they were done.

I've got the Thompson Center ProHunter 35 Whelen. camo, blued with the fluted and ported barrel. I started off shooting the Rem. Cor-Loks, 250 gr i think. Last year everyone was sold out so i purchased the Nosler Customs. I've shot deer with both the Rem. Cor-Loks and Nosler Customs. I have recovered all deer and none have gone over 40 yards.
This pic shows where the doe was standing when I shot her. She went maybe 40 yards.
This pic shows the exit wound, nothing to brag about. It will make them bleed for sure. This buck went about 30 yards.

I'm going to take pics of every deer i kill with it this year as well as the blood trails (although short) to make believers out of non-believers. It's an awesome gun.

·
Registered
328 Posts
randywallace said:
I cant find a 180 grain .35 whelen on Federal's website, but have seen other sites offering different specs:

Able Ammo has 180 grain at 2670fps

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=118291

Federal site has a 200 grain at 2700. http://www.fusionammo.com/ballistics/rifle.aspx?id=877

Sportsman's Guide has 180 grain at 2700. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/federal-fusion-35-whelen-180-gr-20-rds.aspx?a=286527&bi=185911

Odd thing is most advertise that it is Federal load number F35FS1 which should be the 200 grain at 2700 [confused]
I finally had someone call me back today from Fusion and they verified that their loads were 200 grain only. Probaly would still be a great load for around $30 per box.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ya'll must just be a glutton for punishment trying to get baddest .35 Whelen ammo to shoot a wood goat with. Some of them have dang near 4,000 ft lbs, and that's what's recommended to hunt dangerous game in Africa!

·
Registered
25 Posts
good morning to all. new to the forum. So far from our exp with the 35's i have not seen one group the 180 barnes yet. I have personaly seen and shot 4 encores and 1 cva scout (the scout is the wife's gun) I shot a box and half tryin to sight in the scout. no luck. so i ordered the dies and the 225 sierra's. Loaded with 54 gr imr4320 and got 2 three shot groups hole in hole at 100 yards first time to range.and holding 1.250 group at 200 yards. also the recoil with the 225's isn't quiet as bad as the 200 grain hornady's but its about 400 fps slower. but i can live with that for the accuracy.Im wanting to get the load data or a chrony to load the 225's with the superformance powder. i bought a box at the last gun show.

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
STONEPONY said:
Two pages of the 180 vortex and still noone has shot this load?
I am now shooting them. Good groups out of my Encore. Buddy shooting it out of a CVA scout cant get it to group at 100, but is shoots ok at 200.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
randywallace said:
I am now shooting them. Good groups out of my Encore. Buddy shooting it out of a CVA scout cant get it to group at 100, but is shoots ok at 200.
He's to stubborn to try something heavier than 180grains. He shot at least 4 boxes of these with buckshot type patterns. It's not stabilizing

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
fullstrut said:
He's to stubborn to try something heavier than 180grains. He shot at least 4 boxes of these with buckshot type patterns. It's not stabilizing
Yep, he is bent on shooting the 180s no mater what. I thik he got chapped when I shot 7 out of mine and put it up. I didn't realize it until a member here pointed it out, but the Hornady SP have better ballistics with a heavier bullet. I wish I still had a few boxes of those accubonds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Back when Remington made bullets for sale to reloaders, they listed a 150 gr spire point and a 200 gr round nose. I shot both in a .358 Norma and a .35 Whelen. Also have used the 180 in a Whelen and more recently in a .358 Winchester. All produced hunting accuracy at 100 yards. That being 1-3 inches. The older Lyman manuals list these lighter bullets, if you can find them. The 150's have been out of production for a long time. Were intended for the .350 Rem Mag. All that said. The Nosler 225 gr has given best overall performance in all my .35 rifles. Played with some .357 pistol bullets in the .358 Winchester. Deadly at 50-75 yards on hogs.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts