Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I sighted in the double tap 180g ttsx today for a friend. Two shots almost touching at 100 yards. Good enough for me. They were shooting about 6" higher than what it was last year with the 225 nosler custom accubond.

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
matt s said:
I sighted in the double tap 180g ttsx today for a friend. Two shots almost touching at 100 yards. Good enough for me. They were shooting about 6" higher than what it was last year with the 225 nosler custom accubond.
I shot one of my accubonds from last year and then the barnes vortex. Like yours, my vortex shot 6 1/4 inches higher. The barnes put a skillet lick on a big doe this morning for me. She went about 40 yards spraying blood. The internal damage looked like she had been hit with a brick.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
The 35 whelen is an amazing round. I shot three deer and all three went belly side up as soon as I shot. One deer had a hole inside that I literally could put a coke can in. If you doubt it I can email the pics. I shoot 200gr corelokts and the round is devastating!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I recently went and got some of the 180 vortex rounds. Shot them yesterday and they shot good! problem was that I had 4 snap on me through the handi rifle! I have already sent this gun back for repair and it still snapped! Im sick of the handi rifle and the 35 whelen! Fixin to sell it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stonepony The rifle is whats causing the missfire,i had a cva with a 7mm-08 and a 45/70 barrel sometimes when i was shooting on the bench and softly squeezing the trigger i would get a lot of misfires,i could put the same round back in and sqeeze the trigger fast and hard and it would fire. what was happening was the falling block safty is on a taper and when i squeeze it softly the hammer would come down before the block come high enough to drive the firring pin in far enough to really strike the primer hard. i throwed a lot of 45/70 down in the woods before i figured this out. i have a cva scout 35 whelen now and it will do it occasonaly but not as often as the other one.[shootin]

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a new cva apex stainless and camo in the 35 whelen, took it out this weekend to sight it in... Shot the hornady superformance and it looked like buckshot after a few shots at 100 yards then I switched over to the barnes vortex 180s and had a 2 inch grouping out to 200 yards so I will be sticking with the barnes

·
Registered
160 Posts
The Truth said:
I have a new cva apex stainless and camo in the 35 whelen, took it out this weekend to sight it in... Shot the hornady superformance and it looked like buckshot after a few shots at 100 yards then I switched over to the barnes vortex 180s and had a 2 inch grouping out to 200 yards so I will be sticking with the barnes
I just started shooting the superformance in my apex and my 35 really groups up good on them. I am very pleased in mine... Thats odd though 2 of the same rifles group different.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I just shot the barnes x 180. Couldn't get under a 2 inch group for nothing. Reloading some 225gr accu bonds this weekend. I'm sure rees guide can tell I was pitching a fit while he was trying to hunt. Back to 200 core locks for right now.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Thanks LILDAVID! That very well might be it! I was shooting my 7 wsm with a very light trigger before I shot the 35 whelen. I was being very careful not to snatch the 7lbs trigger it came with. Thats probably it! Its gonna be hard to relearn how to snatch the trigger!:) Will give it a try!

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
STONEPONY said:
Thanks LILDAVID! That very well might be it! I was shooting my 7 wsm with a very light trigger before I shot the 35 whelen. I was being very careful not to snatch the 7lbs trigger it came with. Thats probably it! Its gonna be hard to relearn how to snatch the trigger!:) Will give it a try!
SP, Billy Tierce has a fix for this. He just did Fullstrut's 45/70 with good results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i just purchased a 35 whelen barrel for my encore. i bought the barnes vor-tex 180 grain factory loads.hit the range and a bunch of misfires. i tried these in 3 different encores and the same results. when they did go off they grouped real good. did anyone else have this problem with this ammo. the primers went dented real good, and they should have fired. any suggestions on what could be the problem.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was thinking about buying one of the handi rifles, but it sounds like alot of people are still having problems with the mis-fires. Are the newer models having problems, and would yall still buy one or try something else? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently went and got some of the 180 vortex rounds. Shot them yesterday and they shot good! problem was that I had 4 snap on me through the handi rifle! I have already sent this gun back for repair and it still snapped! Im sick of the handi rifle and the 35 whelen! Fixin to sell it!
By a CVA scout in 35 great rifle very good factory trigger you will be happy with it

41 - 55 of 55 Posts