Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about setting up a rifle strictly for long range shooting. The places I'm talking about shooting would have a max of about 600 yards with 300-400 being the norm. I was just wondering what some of your opinions were (pros and cons) of the 7mm Weatherby or Rem. Ultra Mag vs the 300 Win. Mag and what bullets would you recommend for deer in both?

I've been looking at the E.R. Shaw builds and really like that you can customize the rifle to your specs. Whatever caliber I decide on is going to be a long barreled, heavy rifle that will be designed strictly for target shooting and sitting in a shooting house overlooking pipelines and fields. In other words, I don't plan on lugging it into a thicket where I can only shoot 100 yards.

· Registered
150 Posts
Can't go wrong with a 30 cal. Take a look at the balistics on a 300WSM. I know a guy that shot an elk at a little over 600 yards and dropped him. You get the magnum performance with a whole lot less recoil. Given a choice I would stick with the 30 cal.

· Registered
5,489 Posts
Swamp Hunter said:
I've been thinking about setting up a rifle strictly for long range shooting. The places I'm talking about shooting would have a max of about 600 yards with 300-400 being the norm...
...Whatever caliber I decide on is going to be a long barreled, heavy rifle that will be designed strictly for target shooting and sitting in a shooting house overlooking pipelines and fields. In other words, I don't plan on lugging it into a thicket where I can only shoot 100 yards.
Long barrels may be better for velocity, but, all else being equal, they are Not as accurate. If you're trying to build a tack-driver, go with a sensible barrel lenght. [shootin]

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RT8 said:
Swamp Hunter said:
I've been thinking about setting up a rifle strictly for long range shooting. The places I'm talking about shooting would have a max of about 600 yards with 300-400 being the norm...
...Whatever caliber I decide on is going to be a long barreled, heavy rifle that will be designed strictly for target shooting and sitting in a shooting house overlooking pipelines and fields. In other words, I don't plan on lugging it into a thicket where I can only shoot 100 yards.
Long barrels may be better for velocity, but, all else being equal, they are Not as accurate. If you're trying to build a tack-driver, go with a sensible barrel lenght. [shootin]
I've read that shorter barrels are stiffer and thus more accurate. What barrel length would you think would work best in either of the two calibers mentioned?

· Registered
5,156 Posts
Twenty Six inches on a barrel and stick with a 30 cal for your caliber. 180 gr. 30 cal bullets are the bullet to use for long range hunting that your talking about. Berger even makes some heavier bullets with BC's that are thru the roof! I went with a 300 Dakota in a Rem action, 26 inch Kreiger barrel. This is one of the finest cartriges that's ever been designed. Kinda like a WSM on steriods. VERY accurate combination. Stick with 30, whatever you do.

· Registered
2,575 Posts
The longer barrel is so that you burn all the powder in a magnum. .30 calibers are the long range king when you get out past 400 yards. My elk/long range rig is a 300 WBY with B&C reticle scope. The heavier bullets in the .30's buck the wind and keep their velocity longer than smaller calibers.
Before you buy any of the rounds you listed, take a look at the ballistics of the 270 WBY mag or even the 257 WBY mag. They are ultra flat and have a lot less recoil than the bigger magnums. For most of us, that means better accuracy. The 257 WBY is like throwing a lightning bolt at deer. It is absolutely devastating.

· Registered
80 Posts
I'd go plain old 7mm remington mag. It will handle 300-400 yards out to 600 yards with no problem with about any bullet you want to shoot. I've never used a 7mm weatherby, but I don't think it has much over a 7mm remington mag. I have used a 7mm stw, 300 win mag, and 300 ultra and the deer didn't drop any faster than the ones I've shot with a 7mm rem mag at ranges you're planning to shoot.

· Registered
15,861 Posts
Swamp Hunter, I misread the original post. 600 being max the 300 Win Mag will do nicely, easy to get everything you need and alot of options on loads and such. Have killed a couple over 550 with the Win Mag and they didnt leave the field and if you are comfortable with your rifle 3 and 4 hundred are chip shots from a rest. Good luck and let us see the final results.

· Registered
15,861 Posts
randywallace said:
rees guide said:
Why not the 300 ultra mag?? The 7mm weatherby and ultra mag are a better choice than the 300 win in my humble opinion. 300 ultra mag is a bad boy and a good 1000 yard gun.
Good choice. The .300 weatherby is right there with the .300 RUM.
I like both but dont think the extra recoil is nessecary if 600 is the max, I misread the original post and thought he was looking for something out past 600. All 3 will do good.

· Registered
2,555 Posts
I shoot a 300wby and it is a great choice for those ranges. Better round IMO than the win mag, although ammo is going to run you in the +$60 range vs picking up a box of win mags at wally world in the <30 range. Not sure if that's a factor for you or not. Take a hard look at the Wsm calibers as suggested above, but I'd stick with the 30cal for sure.

· Registered
573 Posts
Well... not that I personally would do it, but in The Best of the West, they usually use 7mm Rem Mag to shoot elk and such out to 1000yds. I've also seen them use 6.5x284 on black bear at near 1000yds. So... 600yds for deer shouldn't be a problem, provided *you* are up to the shot. You'll also need good ammo (shoots consistently) and a good rifle, but none of that will make up for a poor trigger puller.

· Registered
47 Posts
The rifle build is more important than the cartridge selection. All the cartridges originally mentioned, along with several others will get the job done. Make sure you get your rifle built by a quality smith.

· Registered
5,115 Posts
First choice Weatherby 270 Magnum,

Others 7mm Rem mag, 257 Wthby mag,

I prefer a gun with milder kick, although I can handle it, it is nice not to have to deal with it.

If you dont mind the kick, 300 Wthby mag or RUM is better, but Win mag and WSM will do fine also. May also consider 30-378.

A good gun is better than the round, good ammo, trigger, and scope with good rest and lots of practice can be the deciding factors. I agree with 26 inch barrel being max, hard to get a longer gun in and out of a box stand.
A tip for regular shooting house is a sandbag for window ledge and a shooting stick for stock to get a good quick moveable rest.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts