Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
4,464 Posts
Swamp Hunter said:
I've been thinking about setting up a rifle strictly for long range shooting. The places I'm talking about shooting would have a max of about 600 yards with 300-400 being the norm. I was just wondering what some of your opinions were (pros and cons) of the 7mm Weatherby or Rem. Ultra Mag vs the 300 Win. Mag and what bullets would you recommend for deer in both?

I've been looking at the E.R. Shaw builds and really like that you can customize the rifle to your specs. Whatever caliber I decide on is going to be a long barreled, heavy rifle that will be designed strictly for target shooting and sitting in a shooting house overlooking pipelines and fields. In other words, I don't plan on lugging it into a thicket where I can only shoot 100 yards.

Get something "sexy" like a .257 Wby Mag.......At 5-600 yards, they'll practically be dead before they hear the gun go off........

Mark.

· Registered
232 Posts
stricly long range if you are wanting to go big I would get the 30-378 wby mag. I have a 257 wby 270 wby 7mm rem and 300 wby and like them all as well as some others mentioned above. There are many good choices let us know what you decide.

· Registered
3,639 Posts
Get you a Rem Sendero in whatever caliber you choose, good optics and PRACTICE,PRACTICE , PRACTICE until you are VERY comfortable with your weapon, and you'll be fine. I love senderos, very accurate rifles! Just my 2 cents.

· Registered
1 Posts
I shoot a 7MM Weatherby, 300 Weatherby and a 416 Weatherby. My 300 Weatherby has killed the most of my big game and I love it. For the past 2 years, I've started using my 7MM Weatherby, Nilgai, Sheep and Elk. All, 1 shot kills, in their tracks. I actually am preferring the 7MM right now. I shoot 160 grain Nosler Partition in the 7, 200 grain Nosler Partitions in the 300.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
I’ve not ever shot Weatherby anything. I do have and shoot 7RM, .308 and 300 WM. Inside of 600 yards I would probably choose the 300WM or 7WM but the .308 would do the job. Very old thread but proud someone is posting on the forum.

· Registered
4 Posts
You never said what you’re planning on using the rifle for.
Have a Weatherby AccuMark in 257 Weatherby. It’s my heaviest hunting rifle with a Leupold VX5HD 3.5-15x44 scope on it.
It’s deadly accurate. My 100 TSX load is a tad over 3600 fps. Shot a Wyoming antelope at 428 yards. It wouldn’t be the first choice, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on elk.
A rifle that will shoot .5 groups, little recoil and kills like a lightning bolt. What’s not to like. Fawn Terrestrial animal Wood Plant Art

21 - 29 of 29 Posts