Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of finally planting some vetch within the next few weekends and was wondering if any of you has success with it in dry locations? The areas I wanna plant or in bottoms but are fairly dry due to being in clear cuts or in short pines. Any info is appreciated as this would be my 2nd time planting this with the 1st time being over 12 years ago with ok results.

·
Administrator
8,617 Posts
It does better in lower land that stays moist, but we have some in upland areas as well. Prep the seedbed, inoculate, top sew and pray for a light rain. We use a seed rate between 7-10# per acre. Others recommend even higher, but we didn't see the need.

The rain kept us from planting until this past weekend. I would have preferred to have it in the ground about 3-4 weeks ago simply because they could be eating it now, but it will do fine.

We don't fertilize it. We have sprayed herbicide before, but it really wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rancher, did you get some vetch planted? They love it. View attachment 69895
No I didn’t, couldn’t find any last minute so I just threw out beans. With that being said, I did find a feed store that does carry them year round. I almost bought some the other day just to have for spring time.

How you like that tactacam? I picked up 2 durning the week and gonna put em out Saturday. I have the cheap spypoints right now. Battery life sucks with them.

·
Administrator
8,617 Posts
How you like that tactacam? I picked up 2 durning the week and gonna put em out Saturday. I have the cheap spypoints right now. Battery life sucks with them.
I really like the tactacams. We started out with the spypoints too. Our area is right on the edge of cellular coverage and we had nothing but problems with spypoints.

The tactacams can get into the batteries too if you set them for instant transfer and have them in a high traffic area. Battery life is much better if you go to 1x or 2x a day. I want instant transfer and don't want to replace batteries frequently, so I have all of mine on DIY 12v, 15ah externals. They last for months with 10k+ pics.

The tactacams are very sensitive to SD card type. Make sure you have a good class 10, U3 card. If you simply grab and old card you will get a bunch of grey pics from bad transfer.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like the tactacams. We started out with the spypoints too. Our area is right on the edge of cellular coverage and we had nothing but problems with spypoints.

The tactacams can get into the batteries too if you set them for instant transfer and have them in a high traffic area. Battery life is much better if you go to 1x or 2x a day. I want instant transfer and don't want to replace batteries frequently, so I have all of mine on DIY 12v, 15ah externals. They last for months with 10k+ pics.

The tactacams are very sensitive to SD card type. Make sure you have a good class 10, U3 card. If you simply grab and old card you will get a bunch of grey pics from bad transfer.
Ive probably ask this before but how’d you make the your battery set up? I want immediate transfers also.

·
Administrator
8,617 Posts
Ive probably ask this before but how’d you make the your battery set up? I want immediate transfers also.
I already had plenty of wire in the shop. Then I bought:

This box:

Plugs for input to camera:

12v 15ah batteries in a 2 pack:

PG7 cable glands:

Herd360 has everything too. They also have kits with most everything you need. If you are making 2-3, their kits are the way to go. If you are making 10+, buy the parts individually off ebay to save money.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I already had plenty of wire in the shop. Then I bought:

This box:

Plugs for input to camera:

12v 15ah batteries in a 2 pack:

PG7 cable glands:

Herd360 has everything too. They also have kits with most everything you need. If you are making 2-3, their kits are the way to go. If you are making 10+, buy the parts individually off ebay to save money.
Thank you sir. I’ll check out herd360’s site and decide from there. It doesn’t look too complicated to do so I’ll see about doing this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts