Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the following ammo if anyone has any for sale.
35 Whelen 200 gr Superformance
300 Win Mag 165 gr Barnes VorTx.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I know where some Barnes 168's are available on backorder, but you're probably not going to like it. $$$$

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Been looking for the Barnes 165’s for a while. Surely Barnes/Sierra will run some seasonal lots of it this summer. I have a box and a half but would feel better with four boxes. The 180’s were available recently but now gone.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Yea, I'm also looking for Barnes VorTx in other calibers and it's made of unobtaneum these days. I found one place selling some .260Rem but they want $67 plus shipping for it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'll be surprised if Sierra runs any Barnes loaded ammo any time soon.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
If that is the case I will be looking for another favorite. Anybody got a suggestion for something 300WM loaded with 165 gr?

·
Administrator
8,606 Posts
More and more retailers are pulling ammo from their online sales in favor of local in store sales.

I would suggest looking at every pawn shop and hardware store around you on a weekly basis. I wouldn't expect any supply changes for a while.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Barnes 308 is available on line in 150 & 168 grain as well as 7RM in 140 grain. All of these just hit inventories. I am assuming that there is some production going on. I actually shoot the 168 grain 308 but have all I need. Hoping that the 165 grain 300WM and 160 grain 7RM hit the market soon.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I remember the ammo supply problems of 2012-13 like it was yesterday. I recently came across some pics I took of the lines outside Sportsmans Warehouse in Southaven. Every Tuesday morning - the "delivery day" - there would be 50+ people waiting for the doors to open at 10am, and then the line would extend from the back counter all the way through the store. The hottest items were 22lr, powder, and primers. An uncle gave me a brick of 22lr during the worst of the times and it felt like I'd received an inheritance, lol. Friends....this isn't going to end anytime soon. In fact, it will get worse. The political tone of our nation is much farther left than a decade ago, we have Democratic control of all branches of Fed government, and the media is focusing on every story that advances an anti-gun agenda. All this creates panic buying. Add to that the very real, practical factor of insecurities brought on by COVID - which translated into the most first-time gun buyers in history - and you've got the perfect recipe for over-demand and shortages. Does anyone see a light at the end of the tunnel? I don't think I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I remember the ammo supply problems of 2012-13 like it was yesterday. I recently came across some pics I took of the lines outside Sportsmans Warehouse in Southaven. Every Tuesday morning - the "delivery day" - there would be 50+ people waiting for the doors to open at 10am, and then the line would extend from the back counter all the way through the store. The hottest items were 22lr, powder, and primers. An uncle gave me a brick of 22lr during the worst of the times and it felt like I'd received an inheritance, lol. Friends....this isn't going to end anytime soon. In fact, it will get worse. The political tone of our nation is much farther left than a decade ago, we have Democratic control of all branches of Fed government, and the media is focusing on every story that advances an anti-gun agenda. All this creates panic buying. Add to that the very real, practical factor of insecurities brought on by COVID - which translated into the most first-time gun buyers in history - and you've got the perfect recipe for over-demand and shortages. Does anyone see a light at the end of the tunnel? I don't think I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Times like this I am glad I took up reloading. I can produce most everything needed except for rimfire, glad to have a few of them in the safe.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Times like this I am glad I took up reloading. I can produce most everything needed except for rimfire, glad to have a few of them in the safe.
That's assuming you've got components stashed away. I need to start working up new loads (5 different rifles) for this upcoming hunting season and I've barely got enough on hand to start.

·
Registered
776 Posts
That's assuming you've got components stashed away. I need to start working up new loads (5 different rifles) for this upcoming hunting season and I've barely got enough on hand to start.
Yep. Reloading is no advantage if you didn't store up the supplies. In many cases reloading components are harder to find in these times than factory ammo. I'd like to claim I was really smart and stocked up on everything after the last shortage, but in fact the only reason I have "enough" (is there really ever "enough?") is luck. A gun store nearby went out of business about 3 years ago, and I bought most of his powder supply at a pretty good discount. It's not a lot, but 6-8 lbs I wouldn't otherwise have. Then about the same time my son told me all the Speer bullets at Sportsmans were on clearance because they were going to stop carrying that (my favorite!) brand. So I stopped by and bought about 25 boxes of bullets in all the calibers I use. Turned out they were NOT on clearance (perhaps 10% off), and Sportsmans had no intention of dropping the Speer line! LOL. I was NOT pleased with my son's mistake, because it was about $350 I didn't need to spend at that time, and I wasn't even reloading and shooting much. Today, however, I feel lucky to have it! Funny how situations define our decisions.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I emailed Barnes/Sierra customer service on May 11. Still no reply? Beginning to wonder if I need to move on from Barnes loaded ammunition. I’m sure I can find something I like.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I emailed Barnes/Sierra customer service on May 11. Still no reply? Beginning to wonder if I need to move on from Barnes loaded ammunition. I’m sure I can find something I like.
I'm not having trouble finding it for .308 and .243. I can't speak on other calibers.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Lucky Gunner has Barnes TTSX in .260 but nothing in 7mm-08, 30-06, or .35 Whelen. I might order some .260 just for giggles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts