Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on the current prices, if available, I have a large investment sitting in my safe! 2013 taught me a great lesson.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
If we ever have another Republican president, I'm stocking up in year 2 of his term. This is nuts, and predictable.

Reactions: rt8

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was expecting ammo inventories to get short, but I never thought that reloading supplies would get "out of stock" across the board. Live and Learn!

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
It has gotten nuts online and brick and mortar. I occasionally find really good deals, but they are getting much more difficult.

TSS shells are following the increases of rifle ammo and don't appear headed down any time soon.

·
Registered
758 Posts
We as the gun owning community are our own worst enemy though. We created a big portion of this shortage by panic buying. If everyone would have just remained calm way back last year when the rona started then we wouldn't be in nearly as bad of a mess as we are right now. I see guys on forums that say they HAVE to have the thousands of rounds of ammo that they panic bought because "I HAVE to shoot every weekend and it takes that much." Well no, chief, you don't. You can sit down and moderate yourself just like everybody else should and we won't have a problem.

Reactions: rt8

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
We as the gun owning community are our own worst enemy though. We created a big portion of this shortage by panic buying. If everyone would have just remained calm way back last year when the rona started then we wouldn't be in nearly as bad of a mess as we are right now. I see guys on forums that say they HAVE to have the thousands of rounds of ammo that they panic bought because "I HAVE to shoot every weekend and it takes that much." Well no, chief, you don't. You can sit down and moderate yourself just like everybody else should and we won't have a problem.
One of the videos from the gun industry I watched said there were 7M new gun owners from Jan to November of 2020. I would suspect December added a few more. That of course caused a substantial increase in ammo demand. The ammo shortage has now trickled down to more people getting into reloading with a corresponding shortage of supplies. I don't see it changing any time in the immediate future.

·
Registered
758 Posts
One of the videos from the gun industry I watched said there were 7M new gun owners from Jan to November of 2020. I would suspect December added a few more. That of course caused a substantial increase in ammo demand. The ammo shortage has now trickled down to more people getting into reloading with a corresponding shortage of supplies. I don't see it changing any time in the immediate future.
Oh you've got that right. 7 million new shooters would have caused a shortage in normal times, but not on the epic scale we're seeing now if everyone would have just practiced some self control. But the reloading community is just as bad on the panic buying and hoarding as the normal gun community. Just go look at MidwayUSA and try bullets. 1253 varieties out of stock with no backorder. And that's bullets. Try finding powder, or that unicorn dust known as primers. I regularly see guys in the groups that find 10 or 12 jugs of powder on the shelf somewhere and buy every drop of it. Same thing with primers. Most of the time I scratch my head and wonder how they even afford to buy that much. If I spend $150 on components that's a big hit to my play money budget. But a lot of people dropping hundreds and thousands on ammo and components that in reality, they don't need and probably won't need in their lifetime. I believe in leaving something for the next guy, but a big portion of the gun community doesn't

·
Registered
168 Posts
What's the difference between "probably won't need in their lifetime" and "ran out of ammunition"? Folks just want to shoot at the range to remain proficient and not run out of ammo due to a limited supply. There are other reasons.

While I agree there's been hoarding there's this posted today by a web newsletter I visit. I know, not everything you read is true but the NICS data is easily available on the interwebs (if you still believe the FBI).

"Fear in American society is apparent with the soaring gun sales for this last year. Measuring, by using the Federal background checks, there have been 4.3 million checks for 2021 vs. 2.7 million for 2020. About 60% of these buyers are new buyers of guns, and about 40% are women. Sales have been so heavy that gun shops are closing because they don't have any inventory, with people buying two and three guns at a time. The high sales are driven by fear of social unrest, rioting in major cities across the country lasting weeks on end, and fears of suppression of gun ownership by the new administration. Also, people don't feel they can rely or trust the police to protect them anymore. Additionally, ammunition of all types has been sold out across the land."

Total NICS checks

2019 = 28,369,750

2020 = 39,695,315 (+28%increase)

It's an issue with multiple causes but we probably all agree on one thing. It sucks.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Certainly, all the new gun buyers had a significant effect, but BY FAR the most critically important factor is this right here. Just 8 years ago all this occurred on a similar scale, and there was no influx of first time buyers. I learned many lessons during that time, but the one that shines most brightly for me is just how panicky and reactionary "gun people" are. And I have to add "unspeakably selfish" as well. The very same people who cast stones at those who act like animals on Black Friday and similar times treated their gun-shooting brethren like mortal enemies. I saw rage, dishonesty, deceit, resentment...you name it. I saw very little cooperation and generosity.

There's a streak of paranaoia in every gun owner. In some that streak is very large, and it feeds on times like these. There isn't enough ammo in the world to satisfy it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As stated in the original post, I have plenty. I haven’t purchased a cartridge in months. Not greedy or intending to add to the supply, but prepared.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ammo

Given the depth of this shortage, do you think there might be any interest in trading ammo via this site? For example, I may have some I no longer need, but do need specific others. Perhaps matches could be found. Are you aware of any legal or site rule prohibitions at play here? Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Although I have plenty of ammunition, I look daily for the following:
Barnes Vor-Tx 300WM 165 grain TTSX
Barnes Vor-Tx 7RM 160 grain TTS
Barnes Vor-Tx 308 Win 168 grain TTSX
I know that Remington sold the “Barnes” brand to Sierra in the bankruptcy but was wondering if maybe they are tooling up or maybe this ammunition is a seasonal run? Maybe in a couple of years this shortage will work itself out.
Your thoughts? Got to talk about something as this place is Sloooooooow!

·
Registered
758 Posts
The story I heard was that Sierra intended to eventually incorporate the Barnes line into their own line under a different name as a regular offering. But who knows when that will happen since they can't even keep up with the current demands. I've fired very few Barnes bullets, but I'm a big fan of Sierra's bullets. So I'll be interested to see what they can do with Barnes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts