Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if I can shoot an antlerless deer on National Forrest land. The regulations show the following;

“Antlerless Deer:
Private lands: The bag limit on Northeast, Delta, East Central, and Southwest Zones antlerless deer is five (5) per annual season. The bag limit on Southeast Zone antlerless deer is one (1) per day, two (2) per annual season.
U.S. Forest Service National Forests: The bag limit is one (1) per day, not to exceed five (5) per annual season except in the Southeast Zone which is two (2) per annual season/one (1) per day.“

Reading this, it looks like I can shoot an antleress deer on National Forrest land, However the chart for legal deer shows this;

“Either-Sex on private land. Legal Bucks only on open public land.”

Is the National Forrest “open public land”? If it is can I only shoot “legal bucks”?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Randy. But I’m still confused. This is not unusual for me though.
The law shows that National Forrests are Open Public Land and only legal bucks can be taken. A little further down the pages it says antleress deer can be taken in the Desoto National Forrest (it says the same thing about other National Forrests). Is there something I’m just not seeing?

Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Number

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
N. You can’t shoot does in the national Forrest except during archery and and the first primitive weapon season for public , with the exception of holly springs. Nothing new here , it’s been this way for a while. And yes national forrest is open public. You do have a state wide or zone specified bag limit on legal antlered or antlerless deer , daily and seasonally ….. and you can kill those limits within the season framework that allows it…. However , to go into homochitto ,or bienville say Christmas Day and kill a doe with a rifle would be illegal, but to kill 5 does between Dec 2 and the 15th with a primitive weapon would be legal. I could be wrong , but I primarily hunt national Forrest along with several people I know ,and this is how we’ve always understood it. It doesn’t stop does from being killed illegally, especially by dog hunters.

·
Administrator
8,652 Posts
Two part process. First, start with when you can hunt your referenced area (Desoto NF in the Southeast DMU).

Font Parallel Circle Number Rectangle

You can shoot either sex during the times marked in red. Times marked in yellow are for legal bucks only.

Second, look at how many you can kill as listed in the bag limits.

Font Brand Art Number Graphics

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Randy, I finally see it! It is legal only during specific weapon seasons. The section I have been obsessed with only covers the “number” of deer you can take with those weapons during those days.
I think I was just seeing what I wanted to see. Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts