Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grew up bass fishing with bait casters but when I moved here I pretty much went strictly spinning gear. I'm ready to reengage with my bait casters so I ordered a Daiwa Tatula CT 100XS 8.1:1 and a Lews Speed Spool LFS SS1SHA 7.5:1. I'm looking for suggestions on matching rods from you die hard bait caster guys. Something in the under $100 range preferably and that would feel right with those reels.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I actually just bought that same Daiwa reel a few weeks ago. As far as rods, earlier this year I was looking for an inexpensive rod to pair with a cheaper baitcast reel I had. After a little bit of research I settled on a Daiwa Aird-X. It is a $50 rod but on several forums, especially Bass Resource many posters said it fished like it cost more. I bought the 6'-6" medium model. My first fish on it was a 25-30 pound black drum. It is not a rod I fish every trip but it has performed well on trout, slot reds and bass. I liked it well enough that I bought the same rod in a 7' medhvy model. This Christmas I bought my brother an Aird Coastal. It is just like the Aird-X but it has a one piece cork handle, while the Aird-X has black foam split grips. Academy carries both for $49.99 each.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just bought that same Daiwa reel a few weeks ago. As far as rods, earlier this year I was looking for an inexpensive rod to pair with a cheaper baitcast reel I had. After a little bit of research I settled on a Daiwa Aird-X. It is a $50 rod but on several forums, especially Bass Resource many posters said it fished like it cost more. I bought the 6'-6" medium model. My first fish on it was a 25-30 pound black drum. It is not a rod I fish every trip but it has performed well on trout, slot reds and bass. I liked it well enough that I bought the same rod in a 7' medhvy model. This Christmas I bought my brother an Aird Coastal. It is just like the Aird-X but it has a one piece cork handle, while the Aird-X has black foam split grips. Academy carries both for $49.99 each.
I actually have the coastal on one of my spinning set ups and like it a lot, light and sensitive. That's a definite contender and for the price I can outfit both reels for $100. That may be the way I go. Do you like that reel? I was torn between that and the Lews so I bought both.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I haven't used it much yet. I put it on that medhvy Aird-X. I had a Tatula 150 on it but I got a Tatula medhvy rod when Academy sent out the 25% off coupon and put the 150 on it. I found the CT on Ebay for $88. I have some Lew's reel.
I want to sell them once this virus thing settles down and replace them with more Daiwa reels.

·
Registered
16,348 Posts
Daiwa, Shimano are both good rods for the $. For me no comparison between a Tatula and a Lew's. I have Tatula CT Type R and Mach Crush Lew's. Both good reels but the Tatula hands down.

·
Registered
1 Posts

best baitcasting rod under 100
Hello, I'm looking for a new rod for short chucks to islands so something 10ft.

I'm just coming back to match style fishing so I don't know what the best features etc. are nowdays.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts