Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,455 Posts
I've had great success with dog food. I just scatter a little around the traps and put a few in the bottom of each DP. Works really good without the mess (and ants) that the other baits.

Of course, your raccoons might not be the same as mine but I bet they are. I would imagine corn would work well as well though I've never tried it.

· Registered
175 Posts
Our trapping days at State, we would put shelled corn in a bucket for several days covered in water long enough time to start getting good and sour. Then we'd mix it with canned mackerel and spoon it in the traps. We used live traps though. Trick is to use disposable rubber gloves for the mess.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
I’m only running 9 DP’s right now and they’ve been out for 3 days. So far and I’ve caught 4 ***** and a possum. I put cat food in them and drip some salmon oil in and around the trap. Seems to be working pretty well.

· Administrator
8,688 Posts
we use whatever fish type material in oil (sardines, tuna, fish steaks or makerrel) , sold in a can is cheapest. Open the can and break up the oily fish over cat/dog food. Spoon the bait into the set trap while wearing gloves.

· Registered
2,303 Posts
FWIW I use sardines around the trap but I don't put them inside the trap to avoid that mess. Inside I'll use marshmallows or dog food. Once the strong smelling bait gets them to the trap, pretty much anything will be good enough for them to put their hand in the tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts