Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was traveling Hwy 14 between Louisville to Hwy 19 south of Kosciusko and saw a large bird of the side of the road floundering in the tall grass. About the time I got almost even, it sprang us from the grass and flew straight toward my car. I was shocked to see the symbol of our great country with the white head and curved beak less than 10 yards away! I was struck by the white fan of tail feathers and how such a large and beautiful bird it was. It climb over the car and also over the large truck behind me....in my review mirror I could see the bird land on top of a large pine.

I always thought they stayed around large rivers and lakes...not in the woods of central MS. I guess I was shocked at the impact the bird made on me...just seeing it so close. It was my first sighting of a Bald Eagle.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Several years ago I was hunting in Sturgis . An old man said he heard a commotion and thought it may be 2 bucks fighting. When he walked in to check it out it was 2 bald eagles with their feet locked together fighting. He said he was afraid one would kill the other so he tried to separate them with his boot. Not a kick, just gently. One of them grabbed his leather boot and sunk a talon into his foot about 1 inch deep. He said the size of them was unreal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Several years ago I was hunting in Sturgis . An old man said he heard a commotion and thought it may be 2 bucks fighting. When he walked in to check it out it was 2 bald eagles with their feet locked together fighting. He said he was afraid one would kill the other so he tried to separate them with his boot. Not a kick, just gently. One of them grabbed his leather boot and sunk a talon into his foot about 1 inch deep. He said the size of them was unreal.
+1

·
Registered
819 Posts
There is a nest on the side HWY 49 between Belzoni and Yazoo City that has had a nesting pair in it the last couple of years. It's cool to see them every morning and afternoon traveling to and from work. I also see a couple on Hillside NWR and along the hillside of Eden/Yazoo City. Quite a few of them around here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
+1

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
There is a nest on the side HWY 49 between Belzoni and Yazoo City that has had a nesting pair in it the last couple of years. It's cool to see them every morning and afternoon traveling to and from work. I also see a couple on Hillside NWR and along the hillside of Eden/Yazoo City. Quite a few of them around here.
Where do they work?

·
Registered
147 Posts
+1

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had 4 behind my house last week. I live next to my father-in-law's catfish farm in Doddsville and they all 4 were in the field about 100 yards off my back porch eating fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts