Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did the non stop Colorado drive 3x and the North Dakota one 2x so I know how you feel. A good nites sleep will recharge you though.

I didn't realize the flooding you spoke of early in the thread was in North Dakota, I was thinking it was across the border.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That surely is an interesting hunt. Friday will be a challenge to stay warm and if the opportunity comes to make a good shot especially after you have sat for a couple hours. Good luck and stay stay warm.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to hear about he 2 hunters that had to end their trip like that but it happens. At least you are getting some action now, maybe that big one will come by today. Seeing the wolves is cool, I've never seen one in the wild before. Good luck today.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tuff conditions for sure but after traveling that far you have to hunt. Hopefully the bear start to cooperate now that the weather is changing.

The lodge looks very nice, can’t complain about that for sure.

I hope your traveling companions understand and don’t leave you lol. (I’m sure they won’t) A friend and I went on a 14 day public land DIY elk bowhunt in 2013 and the deal was if one killed early the other was in it for the duration. Neither of us killed so no pressure for either to leave.

I really enjoy your updates, you have a knack for storytelling. I almost feel like I was there reading your updates.

Good luck, aim small and wish you well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was really hoping that you would kill a big bear on this last hunt. You went there looking for a book bear and stuck it out till the end and got your chance, it just wasn't meant to be I guess. Much respect for sticking to your plan and not crumbling to pressure and shooting at a lesser bear. Trad hunting isn't easy, I know this from experience. Ya'll have safe travels back home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What part of your setup were you worried about?
I’ve found that confidence and a clear mind during the shot process is everything. Majority of my misses were due to not picking a spot. Took me 7 years to get that right shooting at an animal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I totally understand that, it’s all between the ears. I’ve never shot wood arrows but maybe one day I will try them. I can see why you shoot them as well, thats full traditional.

I’ve been asked several times over the past 7 years while I was trying to get that first trad kill, why don’t I just go back to wheels and start killing again. I stuck with it because I love it and killing is just icing on the cake. I myself fight with target panic but rarely on a target, it’s on a live animals.

I shoot almost daily year round, I like it that much. Good luck and hope you can overcome the TP some day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts