Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The last hunt finds me in an improvised ground stand in a new area. I have trimmed a overturned spruce tree that I am using so that my recurve limbs should clear if I get a shot. It’s about 3:40 and I currently have two bears at about 18 yards from my ground blind! It’s a new, but rather intense experience. There is something about being eye to eye with a bear that gets the heart racing. Neither bear meets my own definition of a shooter so if they stay there and I stay here ….I think we all will be fine. Unfortunately, one of the bears likes to get to 5 yards from me and do some postering. Hopefully he will keep the 5 yard buffer for the rest of the evening.

It’s now 5:47 and another bear has joined the other two. He looks like a mature boar but he still isn’t what I’m looking for. This place really has the potential to be one really entertaining evening!

It’s now 6:40 and for the first time today, all the bears have left. I’m still hoping a “Larry” sized bear will visit the bait site. It’s just a little more than three hours before the fat lady sings. That understood, the best time of the day is still to come!

It’s now 7:45 and I have had a shooter bear at the bait the last 25 minutes. He layer down most of the time facing me, not giving me a shot. Eventually just a few minutes ago he finally stood and turned broadside at about 21 yards. I pulled back rather quickly and took the shot! A little off line to the left and right over the back! I MISSED. No excuses other than just getting way too excited! This bear was likely 300 pounds plus and absolutely a record book bear.

Am I disappointed?…of course but I came here for a new experience and a chance for a record class bear…which I got…a chance.

Another bear is already back at the bait but it’s not THE bear. While there is still two hours of daylight left and anything can happen; I have to concede the overwhelming odds of an unsuccessful hunt…it’s just part of the traditional bowhunting process. Without the failures; one never can fully appreciate the successes that inevitably do happen.

I have five bears at the bait now. I’m looking at the largest sow in Manitoba. She looks close to 400 pounds and easily is 35” from her left to her right chest. The head looks bigger than the boar I shot at. Sows with cubs are not only unethical; but illegal. She gets a pass and I hope I do as well!

Well, the end of legal shooting hours is just minutes away. Assuming no last minute heroics are in play; this concluded this adventure. It exceeded all my expectations and I’m happy I made this trip.

Time to turn the page to my next hunt which will be a Colorado elk hunt if I get drawn this fall. All that is left of this hunt is to pull out after dinner tonight at midnight and make the very, very long trip home! Thanks for reading my misadventures:) I really appreciate all you guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was really hoping that you would kill a big bear on this last hunt. You went there looking for a book bear and stuck it out till the end and got your chance, it just wasn't meant to be I guess. Much respect for sticking to your plan and not crumbling to pressure and shooting at a lesser bear. Trad hunting isn't easy, I know this from experience. Ya'll have safe travels back home.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks 8upbowhunter. I was sort of worried about my equipment setup while I was there. Certainly it was adequate but my confidence wasn’t where it needed to be.

That understood, we all have missed. I had a great time and plan to go back soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What part of your setup were you worried about?
I’ve found that confidence and a clear mind during the shot process is everything. Majority of my misses were due to not picking a spot. Took me 7 years to get that right shooting at an animal.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I will try to explain, but I’m pretty sure that it’s not going to make any sense at all.

The problem is wood arrows. Not that they have any real faults as I have them made to almost to the same perfection as an aluminum Xx75. A really good fellow makes them for me that wins many National arrowsmith competitions.

They merely cause me to lose confidence between the ears. I love everything about woodies except how they react to a bad release. Having a TP problem that I work daily to manage; any aspect of my equipment that doesn’t fit my complete expectation causes new problems.

For two months I have shot them daily and can’t get a 3” high impact out. About one in five hits 10” high. It’s not the arrow; it’s me. Shoot a carbon and I stack them in a baseball group at 20 yards most days.

One with logical thinking would say; so why do you shoot them? They are actually excellent arrows and I have killed a ton of animals with them. They convey an idea that I think says everything that is right with traditional bowhunting.

I will have somethings to think about when I get home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I totally understand that, it’s all between the ears. I’ve never shot wood arrows but maybe one day I will try them. I can see why you shoot them as well, thats full traditional.

I’ve been asked several times over the past 7 years while I was trying to get that first trad kill, why don’t I just go back to wheels and start killing again. I stuck with it because I love it and killing is just icing on the cake. I myself fight with target panic but rarely on a target, it’s on a live animals.

I shoot almost daily year round, I like it that much. Good luck and hope you can overcome the TP some day.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't know how I missed this! What an awesome read. It was great as always! Hate you didn't get one but glad you got the experience. Looks like you had a great time! Good luck in the Colorado woods and look forward to reading about it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I really enjoyed the bear trip!

I'm looking forward to the Colorado elk hunt though I already know from the past that cell signal (and the ability to keep batteries charged) is a problem in that area as it relates to the updates. The updates will likely be pretty spotty; but we will see.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts