Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time is getting closer to go on a hunt next month with the legendary Stickflingers in the Duck Hill mountains near Swan Lake Manitoba.

For years it’s been a bow only destination. Traditional shooters represent a high percentage of clients though any bow can be used in the normal concession.

Before the pandemic, the outfitter purchased a new concession that had been only lightly hunted by the previous holder of the rights. This new area was to be open to any weapon; yet the outfitter communicated that pretty much the same group of traditional clients has booked the slots. Before the pandemic, the wait time was about three years.

I booked this in 2019 but couldn’t go all this time due to
the Canadian border closure. It hasn’t been hunted in these years as only Canadians could book; and that doesn’t represent a significant share of his clients.

Three of us from my hunting club plan to leave around the14th of next month for the 1900 mile journey! It should be quite an adventure. Assuming we make it across the border crossing with no issues; I should be able to post daily on our hunt. I think this will be something a little different and hope you can tag along.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The days are counting down. Looks like we plan to leave the afternoon of May 13th; which is just two weeks away! I will open a new thread to talk about the daily events of the hunt starting most likely on the 12th. Hope all of you can come with me.
The picture was taken this week near where we are hunting. I’m hoping for a fast warmup!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We asked if we should bring our fishing gear and the outfitter replied that the lakes were still frozen three feet deep....sent us this picture! The long range forecast is highs in the upper 60's and lows in the 40's in two weeks. Apparently, the transition happens very quick there...when it happens.

Definitely going to pack some warm base layers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts