Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,which bullet have you been shooting in your 35 Whelens and which ones would you suggest be used to handload for deer? Will start handloading for my 35 soon and just looking for opinions. Thinking about the 225 Sierra GK or the 200 gr Hornady Flex Tip. What are your suggestions?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I've been loading the Hornady 200 gr flex tips, over 58gr of Reloader 15, reformed Fed 30/06 brass, and CCI BR2 primers. Seated the bullet 1 caliber deep since my H&R has such a long throat. Shot a 220 pound buck through both shoulders in and out.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you are hand loading have you looked at the Hornady 180 gr Special Purpose Pistol bullet, which reportedly is actually a rifle bullet but is designated for the pistol to keep people from loading it into .35 Remington rounds for use in the tubular magazine rifles like the Marlin 336C.

·
Registered
182 Posts
bucmeister said:
If you are hand loading have you looked at the Hornady 180 gr Special Purpose Pistol bullet, which reportedly is actually a rifle bullet but is designated for the pistol to keep people from loading it into .35 Remington rounds for use in the tubular magazine rifles like the Marlin 336C.
I just got my Whelen this fall and haven't handloaded for it yet. When I do, this bullet appeals to me. It will be plenty for deer, and at 180 grains will have less recoil than heavier bullets. Loaded to about 2700 fps, recoil should be close to that of a 30-06 with 180 grain bullets. I am not particularly recoil sensitive, but why not go lighter if it will do the job? [wink]

·
Registered
573 Posts
270fan said:
I just got my Whelen this fall and haven't handloaded for it yet. When I do, this bullet appeals to me. It will be plenty for deer, and at 180 grains will have less recoil than heavier bullets. Loaded to about 2700 fps, recoil should be close to that of a 30-06 with 180 grain bullets. I am not particularly recoil sensitive, but why not go lighter if it will do the job? [wink]
Just went to their site... yeah, it looks to just be an Interlock (non-bonded) SP bullet. They also make a 200gr if you want those.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm sure that 180 is enough bullet for deer. The only question is if it will shoot reasonably well in my HandiRifle that I got in a hurry for the primitive weapons season. I hate to admit it, but I haven't even looked up the rate of twist in my rifle. I suppose that can be an issue.

·
Registered
165 Posts
270fan said:
I'm sure that 180 is enough bullet for deer. The only question is if it will shoot reasonably well in my HandiRifle that I got in a hurry for the primitive weapons season. I hate to admit it, but I haven't even looked up the rate of twist in my rifle. I suppose that can be an issue.
If you have a Handi Rifle 35 Whelen it is 1 in 16" IIRC.

·
Registered
182 Posts
RT8 said:
"1 caliber deep"...? That's a phrase I've never heard. Please explain.
Not beaverslayer, but just in case he doesn't see your post -- I think he means he seats the bullet so that a length equivalent to the bullet diameter is inside the case neck. So a .35 Whelen bullet with a diameter of .357 would be seated with .357" in the case neck. Many think this is the minimum depth to secure the bullet.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
270fan said:
...I think he means he seats the bullet so that a length equivalent to the bullet diameter is inside the case neck. So a .35 Whelen bullet with a diameter of .357 would be seated with .357" in the case neck. Many think this is the minimum depth to secure the bullet.
I kinda assumed that that's what he meant, but wanted confirmation. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
270fan said:
Not beaverslayer, but just in case he doesn't see your post -- I think he means he seats the bullet so that a length equivalent to the bullet diameter is inside the case neck. So a .35 Whelen bullet with a diameter of .357 would be seated with .357" in the case neck. Many think this is the minimum depth to secure the bullet.
This is exactly what I meant. The only time I deviate from this is if the neck is shorter than 1 caliber and this is for flat base bullets.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
beaverslayer said:
This is exactly what I meant. The only time I deviate from this is if the neck is shorter than 1 caliber and this is for flat base bullets.
So you don't load your ammo "x thousandths from the lands" & tinker with it for accuracy...you simply seat the bullet "1 caliber" deep?

For the record, I have no idea how deep any of my reloads are seated, I just know how far off the lands they are.

·
Registered
15,861 Posts
RT8 said:
So you don't load your ammo "x thousandths from the lands" & tinker with it for accuracy...you simply seat the bullet "1 caliber" deep?

For the record, I have no idea how deep any of my reloads are seated, I just know how far off the lands they are.
How far off the lands do you go RT8??

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
rees guide said:
How far off the lands do you go RT8??
Depends...but .005-.010 is where I generally try to start. Since I don't do any long range shooting, if that seating depth proves "good enough" to suit me, I won't bother tinkering with it.

I don't shoot much anymore anyway...almost strictly bowhunting these days.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts