Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Most folks believe that closer to the lands is better, and usually try for something between .010 and .030. If you seat them too close, there is the risk of one jamming into the lands and dumping a load of powder in your rifle when you extract the unfired round. John Barsness now believes that seating bullets straight is perhaps the most important thing and focuses on that with a starting distance of .030. Berger Bullets has found that "sweet spots" may vary from very close to a considerable distance. For hunting rifles, they recommend experimenting with distances of .010, .050, .090, and .130. One of these will usually be better than the rest. Then you "tweak" around the best of these to maximize accuracy. To my surprise, I found that some of my rifles shoot best with the longer jumps to the lands.

At least in beaverslayer's Whelen, his throat was so long that he couldn't seat the bullets close. I have rifles like that as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
RT8 said:
Depends...but .005-.010 is where I generally try to start. Since I don't do any long range shooting, if that seating depth proves "good enough" to suit me, I won't bother tinkering with it.

I don't shoot much anymore anyway...almost strictly bowhunting these days.
I like your concept of "good enough." One of the hardest things for me to do is to quit load development when I am "good enough" and just enjoy shooting and practice off the bench. For almost all of my hunting, the difference between 1.5" and 0.5" groups is immaterial.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread and appologize for getting off subject. I only use the 1 caliber deep idea when the rifle has an over generous throat. If I'm able to get within about 0.006 to 0.010 thousands of the lands I will, but many of the rifles I load for, I can't get anywhere close to that. I load for a lot of military type rifles which have a lot of throat, such as the 8mm Mauser and you ain't getting close to the lands without a 250 gr bullet which I believe to be overkill in that caliber. For most hunting rounds, I've found that if you can seat to about 0.030 off the lands and make sure everything is concentric, you will have a good hunting round.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Just got my 2012 Cabelas Shooting Cat. Looks to me like the new 200 Gr. Nosler Accubond or the 180 Gr. Hornady Sp would be top choices. In fact. I'm getting some new brass for my .35 Remington, some Hornady LeverRevolution Powder and some of those 200 Gr Accubonds and work up a FINE load for my [email protected] chambered for .35 Remington!

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
wetland man said:
Just got my 2012 Cabelas Shooting Cat. Looks to me like the new 200 Gr. Nosler Accubond or the 180 Gr. Hornady Sp would be top choices. In fact. I'm getting some new brass for my .35 Remington, some Hornady LeverRevolution Powder and some of those 200 Gr Accubonds and work up a FINE load for my [email protected] chambered for .35 Remington!
At meager 35Rem velocities, you'll be better suited (and cheaper) to use Ballistic Tips instead of those Accubonds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use the hornady superformance 200gr I am not paying those high prices for other rounds as Long as I can hit what i am aiming at within the kill zone. I have had 100% results out of the shots i have made 3 shot at 3 killed this year

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
OK,I decided to go with the 200 grain Hornady Flex Tip. I loaded 62 grains of RL 15 with a CCI BR2 primer and a velocity of 2710 fps in my CVA Scout.One half to 3/4 inch groups. Shot 2 deer with this load the last week of the season and was very pleased. One was 137 yds and the other 245 yds. Both behind the shoulder shots and both dropped in tracks.I have found my load. For the record I chronoed the SuperPerformance 200 grains to see how fast they were and all 4 shots were between 2937 and 2914 fps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,which bullet have you been shooting in your 35 Whelens and which ones would you suggest be used to handload for deer? Will start handloading for my 35 soon and just looking for opinions. Thinking about the 225 Sierra GK or the 200 gr Hornady Flex Tip. What are your suggestions?
Been shooting, and loading for 3 friends, 56.0g Varget, F210M, 225gr Hawk RT (.030"jacket). Very accurate and terminally VERY effective.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts