Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beaverslayer and I put boots on the ground this weekend for four days of hunting Day #2 netted him a fine bird with 8.5" beard and just shy of inch spurs.

We heard several birds on the roost but none were really close. As we trekked down a road we thought the closest on was on he shut up. With the woods so open we believe we bumped him. To our luck we heard two more birds several hundred yards off down the road. We hurry down and get within a couple hundred yards of them. We sat only about 20 yards off the side of the road due to how open it was. I threw a tree yelp and they hammer back. One is at the 9:00 position and the other at 12:00 over a pond. I was facing the 9:00 bird. They flew down and went to each other. Hens were still in the tree cutting up. Beaverslayer cut back at them and the birds gobble. It wasn't but a couple minutes later he could see them coming. We had two down logs in front of us which helped conceal us. The birds popped out ~ 20 yards in front of Beaverslayer. We wanted to double but after a couple of minutes I decided there was no way I could swing without spooking them. I told Beaverslayer to kill one and I would try to swing. He smoked the bird shooting a 870 20 gauge shooting XRs. I swung but the other bird immediately to flight. It was a great hunt and it was beautiful watch them so c

1 - 3 of 3 Posts