Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Mississippi Coast fishing in the cross hairs of disaster???

See below email to panel members from the meeting, a video, a link to the Sun Herald article and followed by support provided by Dennis Lambert.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Panel Members,

I appreciated your presentations tonight. It was very informative.

Mardi Gras Pass as mentioned is only the tip of the Iceberg and an example of what may be coming with the Mid-Breton Diversion.

There are MUCH better solutions to resolving the Louisiana land loss issue without destroying the environment, salt water species and many jobs. I believe , the Save Louisiana Coalition, has the right idea of dredging which will protect the environment, salt water species and jobs. Creating and operating the diversions as planned will only exacerbate the problem unless you plan on living 1000 years.

Below is a link to an informative video.
Mardi Gras Pass:

Hopefully, someone can find an endangered species that can turn the tide.
************************************************************************************************************
Link to Sun Herald Article by Mary Perez and what YOU can do!

https://www.sunherald.com/news/local/article234483657.html#storylink=cpy

See attached Map.

E-mail From Dennis LambertBelow:

If Mid Breton Sediment Diversion was operated this year, it would have operated at 100% capacity once the river was over 1,000,000 cfs.This occurred a total of 201 days between January and the end of July. The totals for the two spillway openings and Mid Breton Sediment Diversion are shown below. You can see that Mid Breton will put as much river water into the system as the two spillway openings. The operating parameters for the MidBreton Sediment Diversion are a year round base flow of 5,000 cfs (not included in the below), first trigger as early as when the river is at 450,000 cfs. The point of the opening of the diversion is to capture the mobilized bed load off the fill bank of the river and direct it into the marsh. The problem is a lot of riverwater comes with the sediment load. The diversion is still 99% river water.The diversion is suppose to open during the rising limb and once a noticeable peak is established it would shut off. During the rising limb, it would only operate at 75% capacity. However, once the river reaches 1,000,000 cfs, it would run at full capacity. This is only showing that window, which again for this year, would be a total of 201 days and over 9 trillion gallons of river water, greater than both openings individually and just shy of their combined opening volumes. See the attached spreadsheet as backup:(Thread post would not include spreadsheet so numbers are displayed below.)

Volumes of River Water from spillway opening
First Opening (gallons)………………... 3,984,153,177,600.00
Second Opening (gallons) …………... 6,080,293,468,800.00
Mid Breton Diversion (gallons) …... 9,743,852,880,000.00
Total Volume...………………………….. 19,808,299,526,400.00

Dennis Lambert, M.Eng, P.E., Fellow of ASCE
Sole Proprietorship
Email: [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Are those yellow arrows on the map yours?
I look at at MODIS on a regular basis and have yet to see water from Mardi Gras Pass reach anywhere close to the Mississippi Sound.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
.....Suburban is correct.In 2012 the levee at Mardi Gras Pass was washed out by the Mississippi River.The Corps of Engineers decided to leave it open and let the river water flow into Black Bay & surrounding areas.The fishing at Delacroix hasn't been the same since.Areas that were once beautiful clean brackish water's are mostly muddy most of the time now.Mardi Gras pass is just a drop in the bucket compared to what The Mid Breton Sediment Diversion will do to bring the flow of the river into Black Bay & Breton Sound and finally into the Mississippi Sound.If completed and opened as planned we will see the results within a year.If you think the Bonnet Carre opening is bad just wait and see what these new diversion's will bring into the Mississippi Sound.The folk's in the area's effected by the Canarvin( mispelled ) diversion have been fighting this tooth & nail for years now. I thought TRUMP would reign them in and not allow this to happen,but it must be raising its ugly head again.Diversions are not the answer.Diversion's would take hundreds of years to do what they want them to do.There is an Island that was created by dredging just south of the Long rocks in the MRGO.It has survived several bad hurricane's and was created by simply dredging the MRGO ship channel ( that is never used by ships ) by the Corps and depositing the spoils from the dredge in one spot.This island has vegetation growing on it and seems to be doing very well. I might add that this is no small island ether it is pretty large and you can see it on Google Earth.If the government would spend the money on dredging instead of Diversions they could restore a lot of marsh and not disturb the quality of the water.I feel sorry for our grand kids if they complete these diversions........MM

·
Registered
16,331 Posts
Got to be $$$$ involved in this some where. Would this or could this affect any of the TX coast? Seems like this could be fought in courts.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I thought TRUMP would reign them in and not allow this to happen,but it must be raising its ugly head again.
Trump fast-tracked the permitting process for the Mid Breton and Mid Barataria Sediment Diversions.
The CoE spends millions on dredging the Lower Mississippi every year. If you want to see what is done with some of the material look at Alexis Bay and the north end of Bayou Plaquemines to see projects built with dredge spoil.
I have poked around on the internet some looking for information on these sediment diversions and nowhere have I found any info on effects on the Mississippi Sound by anyone with a scientific background, only a charter captain with an ax to grind.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Bob...
I hope I am wrong on this.It may not effect us at all,but a lot of Mississippi River water will be flowing into Breton Sound.Only time will tell...SJ...I don't think this will effect Texas at all ,as most of this river water is being diverted to the East side of the Mississippi River.[cool].....MM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.