Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I hunted with a 270 for a long time. No issues. Ive had a 260 for several years. Ruger M77 MkII compact stainless. Bought it for my wife, girlfriend at the time years ago. Have let a few friends and youth borrow it. Last year I started using it because of its size, and weather resistant capabalities to pack on with me climbing and hunting public lands. Killed a buck with it and was well pleased with results, so ill be taking it again this year. I still use the 270 but I did a nice makeover on it 2 years ago nice fiberglass stock, scope, phenomonal trigger job. its pretty much reserved as box stand gun or anywhere I need a little more range and don't have a walk that will possibly have me dropping it in the mud. its got the bigger scope between the 2 so food plots or anywhere Im not stuck in the timber I take it but its rare. The 270 is one of my favorites, I don't knock people who shoot 30-06 or other calibers but for me the 270 recoil is very very manageable, almost non existent, my particular rifle shoots very easily and accurate, and I think most people could take it and shoot it well. I love it. its killed many deer. im sure if I made a subpar shot It could be difficult to recover the deer, but im fairly conservative with the shots I take.....and ive let a lot of deer get away from or live over the years because of it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Caliber of choice

Best friend started using an X-Bolt 7MM "Mangleum" exclusively last year at age 74. Touts it as the Hammer of Thor with all deer shot DRT. Used BAR .'06 for years, but wanted something that was more accurate and had more reach here and in the Rockies. Think he found both in the "Mangleum".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back in the day 70's & 80's I killed everything on this Continent (sheep, goat, bear, moose, elk, deer) with a 7 mm Mag. The 90's I started lighting up. 270 then on down. My favorite now is a 204 Ruger. Wish I had'n sold my 220 Swift!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I grew up using a Ruger M77 Mark II .270 shooting Federal 130 gr BTSP. I later changed over the 130 gr. Barnes TTSX. Few years ago, I purchased a Bergara B14 Hunter 6.5 Creedmoor and shoot Hornaday Precision Hunter 143 gr. in it and this has become what I carry the majority of my hunts. Three years ago, I started my oldest girl and purchased a CVA Hunter .243 shooting Barnes 80 gr. TTSX. After seeing several deer taken with her .243, I fell in love with the caliber. I recently purchased a Bergara Ridge .243 and will shoot the Barnes 80 gr. TTSX in it also.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Caliber of Choice

Part of the time this season I stepped down from a .280 to a 7MM-08. Really enjoyed it. Kills ranged from 140 to 180 yards. Plan to reach back into storage and resurrect a 6MM in preparation for a few hunts this coming fall. The .280 is still the main most sword taken to battle, but an aging shoulder appreciates the softer touch of milder loads.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am really attached to my 30-06 all around use - will shoot quarters,2-bits's easily. Then, for those seasons of primitive (LOL) my .35 Whelen. I love the .243 third and use it throughout the season also - will shoot dimes!!!!

Great conversation piece here ......

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am really attached to my 30-06 all around use - will shoot quarters,2-bits's easily. Then, for those seasons of primitive (LOL) my .35 Whelen.
Could not agree more. I've always considered the Ought Six the absolute perfect deer rifle - IF you needed one that would cover the most hunting situations, with the largest selection of factory ammo. It's no accident that I own six rifles in that grand old cartridge.

But the cartridge that's been with me the most over the past 6-8 years - the 35 Whelen. I cannot find anything wrong with that fantastic cartridge, and I'm in love with the little Handi-Rifle that's chambered in it. I like the short barrel, the weight, the handling, and mine is exceptionally accurate. I hand-load the Speer 220-grain flat nose SP, and I could not be happier with the performance.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I bought a Tikka T3x in 260 last spring and this season it quickly became my new favorite. Those 6.5CM boys done snatched up all the 6.5 bullets right now though......

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.