Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i'm confused what minerals &/or supplements i can legally use in my food plots. Can I use supplements such as Buck Grub, Rice Bran, Liquid Deer Cane? I want to be legal so i can film my bowhunts and not get in trouble. I think the Regs make it soo much harder on those of us that ONLY BowHunt during the entire deer season. I wish Mississippi woild adopt some of the feeding/baiting regulations on private properties as my state Louisiana along with many other states including texas. I only hunt in Mississippi. My grandparents own 1800acres in 6 different locations in Tylertown & Salem, Mississippi. I was born in Louisiana, but I'm a Mississippi country boy at heart! COUNTRY BOYZ CAN SURVIVE! I wish I could get a Non-Resident Non-Native Lifetime hunting/fishing license. Louisiana offers it for $3,000 but Mississippi doesnt. Someone told me that they did offer it at one time in the past. I want to hunt by the book and be legal.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I can tell you one thing for sure and only one thing. Rice Bran is a no!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The30PointBuck said:
Hey i'm confused what minerals &/or supplements i can legally use in my food plots. Can I use supplements such as Buck Grub, Rice Bran, Liquid Deer Cane? I want to be legal so i can film my bowhunts and not get in trouble. I think the Regs make it soo much harder on those of us that ONLY BowHunt during the entire deer season. I wish Mississippi woild adopt some of the feeding/baiting regulations on private properties as my state Louisiana along with many other states including texas. I only hunt in Mississippi. My grandparents own 1800acres in 6 different locations in Tylertown & Salem, Mississippi. I was born in Louisiana, but I'm a Mississippi country boy at heart! COUNTRY BOYZ CAN SURVIVE! I wish I could get a Non-Resident Non-Native Lifetime hunting/fishing license. Louisiana offers it for $3,000 but Mississippi doesnt. Someone told me that they did offer it at one time in the past. I want to hunt by the book and be legal.
U can use any natural mineral.....

Salt, trace mineral, stock salt, dical

U can not use anything that has any type of grain or any other attractant other than a natural mineral.....

Including but not limited to rice bran, corn, beans, sweet taters, peanut butter, jelly, kool aid, jam, syrup, molasses, ---- you get the point

Baiting is for those too lazy to do the work it takes to kill a deer with a bow.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DUCK-HUNT said:
U can use any natural mineral.....

Salt, trace mineral, stock salt, dical

U can not use anything that has any type of grain or any other attractant other than a natural mineral.....

Including but not limited to rice bran, corn, beans, sweet taters, peanut butter, jelly, kool aid, jam, syrup, molasses, ---- you get the point

Baiting is for those too lazy to do the work it takes to kill a deer with a bow.
10-4. Thanks for the info!

P.S. What's a good strategy to use when I'm hunting food plots due to hunting nothing but CRP Pines? I wish I had the option to hunt scrapes and hanging a stand on a scrape line, but we have ever few oaks! I have planted oaks, persimmons, and crabapples along my food plots last year in prep for the future. What is somethings I can do when the bucks/does arent coming to my food plots. Any CRP Pine BowHunters out there? What do yall do when faced with this dilemma?

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Locate natural funnels. Check water sources. Follow creeks and rivers in your woods and you'll find trails that cross. Bucks will rub pine trees. They'll rub what's available and you'll find scrape lines if you look hard enough. Good luck. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will do. Deer seem to not come the 2 ponds that we have due to a Lake being about 200yards from our property. These noctural bucks are hard to figure out. In the past I have had difficulty finding scrapes/rubs, but I'll try to focus a little more on looking for them if the bucks aren't coming to the food plots.

I've been hunting my bowseason food plots for 4 years, and I've setup game cameras. Still cant figure out where these bucks are traveling from to get to my food plots. They are mysterious! Haaha Trails, scrapes, rubs, bedding are virtually nowhere. Pre-Katrina we had a beautiful wooded property with massive oaks, hickory, and pines...We had no problem find scrapes, rubs, bedding. Setting up Climbing/Hang-on Stands based on those "Tell-Tell" signs was a breeze. That isnt the case anymore. This CRP Pine hunting is hard to figure out!

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
401 Posts
look at topo maps to (for example) find saddles in the ridges that deer may cross, or other terrain features that may "direct traffic" so to speak. If the pines are old enough to crawl/walk through, you may can cut limbs and such to create trails for the deer to follow...just keep in mind not to travel them much at all yourself or the deer will quit using them. You can also fence off some of your plots then cut holes in the fence to direct their traffic. It definitely is more difficult to pattern deer when your whole property is essentially one big bedding area, but it can be done.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use decal salt and rice bran during the summer not baiting perfectly legal to feed horns. You don't even have to put it out on food plots just put it out where they can find it around this time of year for nutrient supplement and horn feeding its funny they'll only eat it if they need it. But mainly because we don't have many hardwood down here there's only pine thick its they can benefit from the supplement. Good luck

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I use decal salt and rice bran during the summer not baiting perfectly legal to feed horns. You don't even have to put it out on food plots just put it out where they can find it around this time of year for nutrient supplement and horn feeding its funny they'll only eat it if they need it. But mainly because we don't have many hardwood down here there's only pine thick its they can benefit from the supplement. Good luck
Rice bran is never legal to use in MS in any time of the year.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
With an exception for the camera survey permits issued by the MDWFP.
With the amount of Rice Bran that is sold in this state compared to the number of camera survey permits issued, the ones with the permits must be really piling that stuff up![biggrin]

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Yes. Now you can. The law has changed a few times since 2015. Rice bran can be used in a covered feeder.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts