Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and scouted with my dad today for what I thought was going to be a sure nuff pull of the trigger hunt come December. Long story short we decided not to purchase the tags. LOTS of STEEP hills in that zone and also enough kudzu to get lost in. Did see a few deer though. We just couldn't justify the $600 price tag for what we saw. From the looks of the work on the plots, I don't believe they're planning on planting the entire plot at the same time or either they're just planting half the plot and leaving the other half brush hogged. Either way dad got to visit Natchez for the first time. Visited Rosalie and had a great meal at biscuits and blues the day before going up there and seeing Windsor ruins, emerald mounds, and eating at the old country store. All in all a great trip.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have never put in for the draw at canemount and prolly never will but the draw system seems flawed if you get drawn and you dont pay and hunt. I would imagine somebody else would have loved to hunt in that spot that you chose to give up. Scouting the woods now is going to be a lot different come Dec anyway. Seems like you and your dad should have not put in for the draw if you didnt want to pay to play the game no matter the outcome of the hunt.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I have never put in for the draw at canemount and prolly never will but the draw system seems flawed if you get drawn and you dont pay and hunt. I would imagine somebody else would have loved to hunt in that spot that you chose to give up. Scouting the woods now is going to be a lot different come Dec anyway. Seems like you and your dad should have not put in for the draw if you didnt want to pay to play the game no matter the outcome of the hunt.
I believe they have another round of drawing for the dates not paid for.

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
Yup, looks like he got drawn on the second round. Since there isn't a third draw, that is now a lost spot.

http://mdwfp.com/canemount-wma/hunting-information/deer-draw-hunts.aspx

Timeline for Canemount Deer Hunt Applications:

• Applications will be available from August 1 - August 31 at www.mdwfp.com/draws.
  • Drawing will take place on Monday, September 12.
  • Hunters selected will be notified by email.
  • Permits will go on sale at noon September 12 on mdwfp.com. Permits will be $300 per hunter for a 3-day deer hunts and $200 per drawn hunter for the 2-day youth hunts.
  • Drawn hunters must make payment by Monday, September 19 at 8 a.m.
  • If full payment is not made by September 19 at 8 a.m., hunters will forfeit their permit.
  • A second drawing will be held on September 19 to fill unpurchased permits.
  • Hunters selected during the second drawing will be notified by email.
  • Hunters selected during the second drawing must make payment by Monday, September 26 at 8 a.m.
  • Any permit not purchased by September 26 will be forfeited.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, looks like he got drawn on the second round. Since there isn't a third draw, that is now a lost spot.

http://mdwfp.com/canemount-wma/hunting-information/deer-draw-hunts.aspx

Timeline for Canemount Deer Hunt Applications:

• Applications will be available from August 1 - August 31 at www.mdwfp.com/draws.
    Drawing will take place on Monday, September 12.
    Hunters selected will be notified by email.
    Permits will go on sale at noon September 12 on mdwfp.com. Permits will be $300 per hunter for a 3-day deer hunts and $200 per drawn hunter for the 2-day youth hunts.
    Drawn hunters must make payment by Monday, September 19 at 8 a.m.
    If full payment is not made by September 19 at 8 a.m., hunters will forfeit their permit.
    A second drawing will be held on September 19 to fill unpurchased permits.
    Hunters selected during the second drawing will be notified by email.
    Hunters selected during the second drawing must make payment by Monday, September 26 at 8 a.m.
    Any permit not purchased by September 26 will be forfeited.
If you look above the part you highlighted you'll see where it talks about the first round of hunters forfeiting their permit if it's not paid by September 19th so I believe it'll be drawn again. Either way it's a "luck of the draw, luck of the draw", if you will at CM. Just because you get drawn to hunt the management area doesn't mean you get to hunt the unit that you feel like will be the most productive. Unit two definitely didn't fit the bill for me. And regardless of what the vegetation looks like come December, unless a tornado, flood, and earthquake comes through between now and then, unit two will still have a lot of bluffs and drop offs and whatnot that make it extremely difficult to traverse.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Gooooood, less pressure when I go in January..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Zone 2 report

Went 29,30 Oct 2016 and saw 6 shooters. I larger 8 point was seen at the yellow bucket and the others were all seen at creek bottom from gate 3 entrance walk through food plots all the way to creek and jack up in the bottom. Big time drought going on so the cool bottom and proximity to water was drawing them in. As with any draw hunt by the time you learn where to go its all over so I hope this helps somebody between Sandestin and San Fransisico. There is an abundance of hogs and will scare the crap out of you when walking 1.5 hours before daylight and you kick up 6-8 of them. I had a beautiful large bobcat walk by at yellow bucket too. Don't drive on any designated trails only on ATV trails no matter what MSWFP agent says...it is walk in only everywhere on Zone 2.
Ole Ferry cabin was a convenient spot to make camp,wish we could have used the skinning rack.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Headed that way in a few weeks. Has anyone been to Canemount have they killed anything did the plots come up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I’m new on here. I’m trying to get some info on zone 2 at Canemount I was drawn for Dec 22-23 2020. I would sure appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Big B

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
Hi, I'm new on here. I'm trying to get some info on zone 2 at Canemount I was drawn for Dec 22-23 2020. I would sure appreciate any advice.
Thanks,
Big B
Go scout it! Put boots on the ground. Best advice you'll get.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get down around James Creek, there are good bucks to be killed remember those hills are only problematic for the hunter not for the deer. Dont overlook plots that are partially planted also experienced pre rut action as early as bow season maybe because there are a lot of older age class bucks. Deer in Canemount arent like deer on other wma's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks fellas. I have been twice so far scouting and plan on going another time or two before season starts and hopefully a few times once season is in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Once draw hunts begin scouting is limited to one day a week, the day in between the draw hunts. If you havent paid for your hunt you can't be on the area at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone ever hunted Zone 6? I've got a gun hunt week of Thanksgiving in Zone 6. Really looking forward to it even if it is tough hunting.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Anyone ever hunted Zone 6? I've got a gun hunt week of Thanksgiving in Zone 6. Really looking forward to it even if it is tough hunting.
zone 6 is one of the least desirable zones, however a easily traversed zone compared to 1,2 or 3... much flatter. thanksgiving is not a good time in that area for buck killing all of sw ms for the most part.....its just not. sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck. I hunted it several years ago. killed a doe right at the gate as soon as I stepped over it on thanksgiving morning, never saw an antlered deer in any spot I hunted there on that particular draw, temps were warm....wasn't ideal by any means. there was some sign but nothing compared to sign you see in the deep draws of 1,2 or 3. I mostly hunted in the back of the zone near the property line for that zone in the thicker spots I could find....to no avail. so you may try something different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts