Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Folks!
Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently moved back to Mississippi from Texas, a 9 year hiatus that I am glad is over. And since I have not consistently fished these waters since I was a young man, I'm looking for some friendly advice from the experts... yáll!

With Oil and Stocks where they are now, I realize it may be a long time before I get my hands on a bay boat. So I have my trusty 25ft sailboat from the mid 70's and a paddleboard to use. I definitely have to plan everything ahead to make fishing work.

I was planning on heading to Cat Island for an overnighter around mid February. I was thinking about anchoring near west tip where according to the chart there is a nice drop off from 3-4 foot to about 10 foot of water, and doing some bait soaking there. Waking up early A.M., Sailing east towards the Cat Island Bayou on the North side, and fishing the bayou with the thought that since it is cold, that is the only deep water near Cat Island that is inshore for fish to hold and stay warm.

Should I change up tactics? Maybe hit the flats and grassbeds on the west tip early A.M.? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and Tight Lines!
-Alex

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
You plan on the west tip would be great in May-June-July I have never fished cat this early in the year but with the warmer temp they are sure to be some there, I have heard a lot of redfish sight fish on the grass beds!

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
The last satellite photo looked like a lot of fresh water headed to Cat especially with the recent SW winds.

·
Registered
16,301 Posts
I always liked fishing the south side of the Birdcage area (off the west tip). It has some really nice ridges and troughs with good water depths in the troughs that can really hold some fish. I have just never fished Cat this time of the year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the warm welcome and advice! I'll let yáll know how we end up. I'll probably fish flats on west tip early A.M. then as the sun rises go chase down some deeper holes in the bayous and see if I can't find em there. Big Louie81, thanks for the tip. I'll pass by the tackle shop, right by my house, and see if billy has them in stock!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Mr Billy is a great guy, I know he has almost everything you could need, he is also taking registrations for the YellowMouthFever Tournament ;)!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts