Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never leave my hang-on stands in the tree in the offseason; preferring to take them down at season close and put them back up at the start of the season. Years ago I bought quite a few of the Gorilla stands because they were comfortable....and cheap. Though I knew they were a death trap as the company eventually went out of business..... my thoughts were since I was taking them down each year; they would be fine.

Well given most of those stands were approaching 20 years old; I figured I might discard them but opted to have a local welder replace the cables for a 1/3 of the cost of a new stand. (He actually replaced the cables with heavy chains and replaced all bolts for $30 each).

He happened to give me the old cables back and the first one I stripped with a knife looked great on the ends, but where the cable 'folded' when the stand was collapsed was rusted, badly worn, and was fraying. No doubt an accident waiting to happen. I'm glad I'm not sitting in them this season with the old cables!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
If you suspect your climbing-stand cables, they are easily and cheaply replaced by material available at any farm supply store. Use 2040 roller chain (sold where they sell tractor and combine parts) and pull it through clear vinyl hose. Punch a series of holes through the hose at each end for your adjustment pins to go through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts