Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a archery trip planned for Kansas next year for around this time of year pending drawing a permit. I want to be prepared for crazy Kansas weather with some good cold weather gear. Looking at Sitka and First Lite. I know Sitka is always the term that pops up with this topic, but wondering if there are others I should be looking at. Sure want something that'll hold up if I am going to drop that much money on it. Also, want something that's not bulky.,

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
First Lite base layers are legit. I own a few sets of various weights. The Furnace base layers (their heaviest) are extremely warm and comfortable. Many agree First Lite has the best merino base layers out there. I've not been too fond of the First Lite pants I've owned. I like Kuiu pants much better. The Kuiu Guides would be a good pant for your application.

As far as outerwear, First Lite also makes some good stuff. I've used a discontinued jacket (Woodbury) for several years and bought the Solitude bibs last year. 100% pleased with both. The Woodbury line fell in the middle between the current Sanctuary and Solitude lines. I hate they quit making the Woodbury as its plenty enough for MS weather and the Sanctuary is so heavy its really about too much for MS unless you are just extremely cold natured. The Solitude bibs are enough for me with layering, but you may want something a tad warmer for the midwest.

The #1 complaint with First Lite outer layers is "wind proof" membranes. I've never noticed any issue, but folks who use it in windier places (like the Midwest) have. Sitka has their "windstopper" stuff and I've never heard complaints from people who own it.

To sum it up:

Base Layers = You should very much consider First Lite
Mid-Layers = I'd look at Kuiu or Sitka for Pants
Outer Layers = First Lite or Sitka (more white-tail oriented than Kuiu) - If you are concerned about wind cutting through, I'd lean towards the Sitka.

Sizing:

First Lite: Sizing is true. All the clothing is sized appropriately for layering, so pick what size you normally wear. (I.E. don't size up for a jacket)
Kuiu: Runs small, more of an "athletic" fit. Size up for pants and if you are borderline size on a shirt, size up.
Sitka: Don't own any so can't comment. But from my research it runs fairly true to size.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you are a big guy Kuiu will not have anything for you. For everything else deerhunt is pretty much spot on. I like Sitka and the main reason is that local stores now carry it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I own a few Kuiu pieces but they are for the moving hunter. Attack pants and jacket and Guide Jacket. Good stuff but not for stand hunting. I don’t own any FL or Sitka but do have the jacket and pants in Wooltimate from Cabelas. Very warm and have the Wind Shear membrane. I’m headed to Wyoming in a couple of weeks and will have the Kuiu and the Cabelas to switch and swap as needed. For the extreme cold on stand I have the Cabelas MT050 and it is the bomb and waterproof.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Two years ago I needed to upgrade my 20 year old Rivers West hunting clothes. At that time I wanted warm and silent for bowhunting. I tried on the Sitka fanatic bib and coat and the Nomad Elevated Whitetail Bib and Coat. The Nomad fit me better and was 1/2 the price. Honestly it is to hot most of the time for MS hunting. If it isn't in the 30's I typically just wear my merino wool baselayer with a vest or light jacket. I took my Nomad gear to Alaska last year and it performed great. We had a 65 mile boat ride up the Yukon and it kept me warm the whole ride even when it rained on us. My coat and bibs weren't advertised as waterproof, just resistant, therefore I sprayed them with silicon spray before my trip and they performed just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts