Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m confused (again). What license is required to hunt dove? The bag limits are listed under migratory game birds. Is a small game license all that’s required? Can I hunt them in a WMA? I know I have to plug the shotgun but that’s about all I know. When I try to call the numbers listed in the regulations book I do not get an answer.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You can hunt on a WMA but there are only certain WMAs that have dove fields. You will need a WMA stamp ($) and I think you need a migratory bird endorsement on your license (free I think).

·
Registered
381 Posts
You can hunt on a WMA but there are only certain WMAs that have dove fields. You will need a WMA stamp ($) and I think you need a migratory bird endorsement on your license (free I think).
Yes on WMA permit. Yes on HIP survey. Can get both at the number I posted. My son has a lifetime license and we called that number to get his HIp survey today. They gave us a confirmation number..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.
I called 1-800-5gohunt and got the HIP endorsement. I guess that the migratory bird requirement (?). I have seen doves in the past on some WMA fields that were cleared for deer. Not the best spots, but if I can actually bag a few, I may travel to the better fields.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Thanks all.
I called 1-800-5gohunt and got the HIP endorsement. I guess that the migratory bird requirement (?). I have seen doves in the past on some WMA fields that were cleared for deer. Not the best spots, but if I can actually bag a few, I may travel to the better fields.
Thanks again for your help.
Before you go trying to shoot dove on those WMA deer fields, you'd better check with them first. WMA's usually have very strict start/stop dates for hunting so even though doves may be in season, hunting for them at that time on a WMA that doesn't have a dedicated dove field might be asking for trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts