Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
8,606 Posts
Check with George Varner at Flora Feed (601) 879-8999 . He has been running truckload sales and mentioned not long ago that he was going to do a bulk sale for people with their own barrels.

·
Registered
239 Posts
corn

That's $4.16 a bushel if the barrel is level full to the top. I just got over 6500 lbs. we weighed a plastic 5 gal. bucket it weighed 1 lb. then we put a mark inside the bucket 2" below the top and filled with corn to that level and weighed that. Total weight was 30 lbs. So the corn weighed 29 lbs. We were able to pour 13 buckets to level fill a plastic 55 gal. drum. Total weight of corn 377 lbs which is 6.73 bushels.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I get saving a dollar a bushel if you’re buying thousands of pounds, but for my needs (10 bags at a time) having bagged corn is more user friendly and convenient. I’ve got no way to lift 300+ lbs by myself.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I agree Remington. We bought five 55 gallon barrels of corn. By the time I sift it to clean the cobs out and have to bag it or carry 5 gallon buckets in to feeders it sucks. I'd rather pay extra to have clean, bagged corn. Now for troughs or gravity feeders it's hard to beat.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
At $28 a 55 gallon drum you getting 150 pounds extra. I'm paying $7 a 50 bagged. That's almost worth the extra effort to clean it and bag it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts