Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the areas I hunt most, river bottoms in Tate Co, it seemed like coyote numbers were increasing slightly but steadily year after year from about 2005 until very recently. However, starting last year and definitely through this year so far it seems as if coyotes are less and less prevalent. Clearly this is all subjective, but fwiw others I speak to in the area say they have observed the same thing. I hunt afternoons exclusively (except for 2-3 morning hunts a year), and I could almost bet on hearing coyotes howling right about dark on most of my hunts. I regularly saw coyotes while hunting, and coyote tracks seemed to be everywhere. It seemed like these animals were taking over. About 5 years ago I killed one with a bow and could have killed its hunting partner if I'd wanted.

But the past 2 years something has changed. I see few tracks, and I cannot recall the last time I heard a pack open up howling as I walked out at dark. I haven't seen any coming through while hunting, and last week when we left some deer guts out for them behind my dad's place none showed up.

Is this a very limited situation, or have others noticed the same thing? I cannot fathom what would account for a general decline, so perhaps this is just a small, temporary adjustment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can read up on predator/prey relationships and find that they are constantly ebbing and flowing. You see an increase in rabbits or other prey and a few months or couple years, you'll see an increase in direct predation. Once the affects of increased mouths to feed reach carrying capacity, then you'll see the prey numbers decline, followed by the predators. They will "migrate" to where the food is. Here in south MS, I've seen nothing but increases for the last couple years.

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
Yotes have been nuts this year at our camp. We were getting them on camera regularly before season. Even have pics of them circling a spike in a foodplot at night. 3 yotes had the misfortune of walking out on me opening weekend and I was able to get 2 before they could clear the lane. We continue to hear them nightly. We have a good bit of cattle around us. Where there are calves, there are yotes.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yotes have been nuts this year at our camp. We were getting them on camera regularly before season. Even have pics of them circling a spike in a foodplot at night. 3 yotes had the misfortune of walking out on me opening weekend and I was able to get 2 before they could clear the lane. We continue to hear them nightly. We have a good bit of cattle around us. Where there are calves, there are yotes.
Same hear Randy... seeing and hearing LOTS of yotes this yr have shot 2 already and know of several more that have been seen and not shot for some reason or another.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I figured - 100% location specific. Just to add to the "evidence" i mentioned in my other post, about 6 months ago a new tenant moved into a house across from one place I enter public land to hunt. He waved me down one day to introduce himself and ask about hunting. The guy is from the the Grenada area, where he hunted most of his life. After asking me how the deer hunting is "in these parts," the next question out of his mouth was, "Do y'all not have coyotes up here?" He said he hadn't seen or heard one since he's been here. Considering the number of yotes I've seen in the past 15 years it's just mind-boggling. Nature is amazing!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
We have had the same experience as Jakesnake66 on our club. I was just discussing the subject this week. Have not seen or heard a Yote all year. Don’t miss them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts