Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What deer attractants have you used successfully that when placed on the ground will withstand rain somewhat? Rice bran and most other powdered attractants, and I've used a number of them, won't hold up very well in rain. I hunt a farm where the owner doesn't want sweet potatoes on the ground or corn/grains in covered troughs or spincast feeders. All suggestions appreciated.

·
Administrator
8,652 Posts
If you can't use covered troughs or spin/gravity feeders, you are out of luck on feeding in MS due to the regulations.

Despite the rain resistant claims of some of the pelletized feed (antlermax, etc) they will mold quickly if a pile gets wet. Thats why even with spincast feeders you don't want more than they can eat in a day being tossed out. Powdered feed attractants mold equally fast.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What deer attractants have you used successfully that when placed on the ground will withstand rain somewhat? Rice bran and most other powdered attractants, and I've used a number of them, won't hold up very well in rain. I hunt a farm where the owner doesn't want sweet potatoes on the ground or corn/grains in covered troughs or spincast feeders. All suggestions appreciated.
Regular rice bran works even after it gets wet and sours, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes

·
Administrator
8,652 Posts
Regular rice bran works even after it gets wet and sours, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes
Like anything, I reckon it depends on the deer in your area.

I have seen that stuff in a pile that the deer wouldn't touch after it went sour. Turned into a nasty mound of mold and stank horribly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts