Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to build a permanent outdoor shooting bench on my property. I have looked at a few plans on the internet but would like any input from the members about “what to do” and “what not to do” from any experience you guys/gals may have. First question is height. Plans I have looked at range from 23” to 35”. Some with built in bench and some use a chair. All input appreciated.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'm not sure of the height but I liked a chair better than a built in bench. I'm 6'2" and I didn't fit so good on the built in bench. The ones I shot off of were made of treated lumber and were heavy but super stable. You tube might have some examples if all else fails.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I’ve read that you wanna build it with 4x4’s where possible to help with stability along with even cementing it in ground to also help with stability.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Make the seat-to-table distance tall enough for the tallest person you know.
It's a whole lot easier to add a cushion to the seat for shorter people than it is to stack up stuff to put the sandbags on to make them useable for tall people.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
If it's going to be permanently located, I recommend building a roof over it. Protection from direct sunlight and year-round rain will increase the life of the bench 5X's. Plus it will be more comfortable to use.

Reactions: magnoliahunter

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you aren't able to get concrete to the area, look into buying a couple of the mobile home screw in anchors to help stabilize it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I went this route. It's ridiculously sturdy. So sturdy that I had to put a 3 point hitch on it to move it around :cry:.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like it. Did you work from a plan or just figure it out? Would love more pics from different angles.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I like it. Did you work from a plan or just figure it out? Would love more pics from different angles.
Let's just say the 3ph was a genius afterthought inspired by the inability to get it moved from the porch to it's final home on the range. 😁

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just figured it out as I went. RT8 isn't joking about the 3ph either. It took my wife and I both just to slide it on the concrete where I built it. I'm not sure what RT8's thoughts are (he uses it too) but in retrospect I feel like I should've either put the seat closer, or made it wider so it would stick under the table some. If the rain holds off I'll try to run get some more pictures for you today.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was able to grab a few pictures after the rain. The little upright stand is just to mount a fan on to cool barrels. It's not important to the structure lol.

20210502_155740.jpg 20210502_155659.jpg 20210502_155706.jpg 20210502_155717.jpg 20210502_155724.jpg 20210502_155731.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts