Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's face it...If you truly want to hunt somewhere great...you need limited access in the area that your going to hunt. That 'limited access" can be achieved with a lot of shoe leather (sometimes) on public land or in other cases; draw hunts can be a method to limit the number of hunters.

I got the mother load of draw hunts a week or so ago.. After 15 years of applying in the elk draw, I drew Unit 40 in Colorado for either sex elk. Only about 17 non-resident archery either sex permits a year are issued for this 40 square mile area. I killed my 336 bull there in 2005. I also killed a nice mule deer there in 2019 and I'm looking forward to going back!

This is likely to be an odd hunt as I know it will be the last time I ever hunt bulls in unit 40 due to my inability to secure another license at my age. That said, 'big bulls' don't gather my sole attention on this hunt. Maybe just #5 will do on this trip....especially if I could do it with a wood arrow. I guess we will see how that dream evolves as we get closer.

We plan to leave toward the end of August and scout a few days before the elk opener. Not sure I can do the updates as in the past due to poor cell coverage; but we will see.

Anybody else have an draw hunt success? I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Nothing close to your draw, but my brother and I did get selected on our group archery draw for unit 8 in Kansas. We will be hunting the first week of November in Haddam, KS. This will be our first OOS deer hunt, so we're pretty excited.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing close to your draw, but my brother and I did get selected on our group archery draw for unit 8 in Kansas. We will be hunting the first week of November in Haddam, KS. This will be our first OOS deer hunt, so we're pretty excited.
Kansas is a great destination and you are going at the best time. Their 'little' deer are our big bucks! Kansas is going to be one of those states that you need multiple preference points to get a license one day. Already, the 1st year applicant isn't a shoe in for getting drawn. Congratulations on getting a tag!

Hope you can provide a daily update when your there!

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
Congrats on the draw! Just checked out the unit on GoHunt and a bit depressing seeing as how it took 11 pts to draw in 2017 and due to point creep, is now a 15pt draw. Best of luck on your hunt, looking forward to the pics and story!

As far as my draws, headed to MT to chase elk during mid-Sept. for 2 weeks on a general tag. Will be the fourth state I've chased elk in, but the first time i've hunted in grizz territory. Will add another element of excitement!

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Good luck in Montana deerhunt1988! Yes, point creep is depressing. This will be the 4th either sex tag I have obtained from unit 40. The first one in 2000, I think only took around 3 preference points, then I went in 2005 on a landowner tag, then in 2006 with 5 preference points, and 2022 with 15 points. My next tag will likely take 40 points and given I'm 64, I doubt that I can chase the elk in the mountains at 104!

Canebrake, those are enough points to hunt some quality areas already...especially the deer! 40 doesn't take but about 3 or 4 unless something has changed.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Kansas is a great destination and you are going at the best time. Their 'little' deer are our big bucks! Kansas is going to be one of those states that you need multiple preference points to get a license one day. Already, the 1st year applicant isn't a shoe in for getting drawn. Congratulations on getting a tag!

Hope you can provide a daily update when your there!
I did not draw KS this year and I had 1 point already.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
Looks like one of the biggest names in elk hunting will be hunting there the same times as you, Stringwacker. Just heard on a podcast that Corey Jacobson cashed in 18 pts for the same tag. Maybe you can make one of their YouTube videos! (JUST KIDDING) During the podcast he was describing the unit and I thought "that sounds a lot like the description I'd read on GoHunt about String's unit". Came back to see which unit you drew and sure enough, same one!

And I haven't saw the NR app numbers for Kansas yet, but they have had to be surging the past few years. Yet another state that's gonna require playing the point game.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The unit isn't that large in relation to some other units; but as you know its managed for trophy bulls. Maybe I will run into Corey at the only store located at Glade Park. (lol)

Given that I've taken a 336 bull from 40, this isn't going to be necessarily a trophy hunt for me.... which is a bit odd given the hard odds to draw. If I get a good 15 yard shot at a watering hole and can send a wood shaft through a cow (especially in the morning); don't be surprised if that's good enough for me. I'm also planning on a turkey and bear tag so that will allow me to keep hunting. Elk used to hold a great interest for me; but my flame burns hotter for mule deer these days. I guess elk are just too big for an older guy, I have a good one on the wall, and those imprinted all night recoveries from the past never get completely forgotten.

I should have two preference points in KS by the time I put in for another tag. I plan to put in for the deer draw next year in 40 and/or Zone 5 in Iowa. We will just see how it all goes. As you can tell, I'm enjoying retirement:)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My son drew a New Mexico unit 15 archery elk tag for first season. Supposed to be an excellent unit and very hard to draw without an outfitter number attached to your application. He drew it the hard way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts