Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone putting in their applications for the draw hunts this year? I just seen there accepting apps till the 31st.

I say every year I’m going to apply but never do. Think this year I may put in for 1 or 2.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I tried. However, being over 65 I do not have to purchase a WMA permit. You cannot apply without entering your WMA permit ”number”. I don’t want to buy a permit on the off chance I get chosen in a draw.
Unless I’m missing something (not surprising at my age) it seems like a huge oversight on MDWL.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
I tried. However, being over 65 I do not have to purchase a WMA permit. You cannot apply without entering your WMA permit ”number”. I don’t want to buy a permit on the off chance I get chosen in a draw.
Unless I’m missing something (not surprising at my age) it seems like a huge oversight on MDWL.
You can buy the Senior Exempt License for $5 and it will suffice. It includes a WMA permit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What are the "group hunts"? I see they have draw hunts for example, primitive weapon and another one for primitive weapon group at the same WMA. I looked at a couple rules and regs for those WMAs but didn't see any definition.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They are draw hunts for groups of 4 hunters for a 5 day hunt on either one of the two Backwoods Units ( both approximately 4k acres) One applicant can put a total of 4 hunters on one application then prioritize the dates you want. Your allowed 1 legal buck (16w x 20" mb) and 1 antlerless deer per hunt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts