Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas it’s been probably 25yrs since I’ve squirrel hunted and I’m wanting to take my 2 boys opening weekend. Besides walking oak flats and creeks, is there anything else you focus on while hunting. Any tips and tactics is appreciated.

Ever since I got into bow hunting I’ve kinda pushed small game hunting aside but with 2 boys of hunting age I’m wanting to get them interested. They both have deer hunted and enjoy the outdoors and I’m trying to keep it that way!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
stalking the leafy early season squirrel woods is one of my favorite hunting exploits. i find more enjoyment out of using the 22 than the shotgun but i will go the shotgun route at times.

only tip i'd give is SLOW DOWN...i don't sit in a single spot unless i just flat know i'm under a hot tree but i do move extremely slowly. i'm getting excited just thinking about that first saturday in october and seeing those oak/hickory limbs a bouncin at first light.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You can also pickup any September issue of every single outdoor magazine in the USA........ they always have a new article titled "Early Season Squirrel Tactics."

Just something I've noticed over the decades.....

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You can also pickup any September issue of every single outdoor magazine in the USA........ they always have a new article titled "Early Season Squirrel Tactics."

Just something I've noticed over the decades.....
In the mail yesterday. I rest my case.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don’t know where you live but I have a squirrel dog and I would love to let them follow my dog one day. I live in Madison and typically hunt Hillside WMA and Caney Creek WMA when I hunt around here. I take him to several deer camps before deer season and after deer season as well. He is one heck of a dog and fun to follow in the woods. Feel free to inbox me if you want to try and connect for a hunt. My 7 year old has made every step with me starting last season.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know where you live but I have a squirrel dog and I would love to let them follow my dog one day. I live in Madison and typically hunt Hillside WMA and Caney Creek WMA when I hunt around here. I take him to several deer camps before deer season and after deer season as well. He is one heck of a dog and fun to follow in the woods. Feel free to inbox me if you want to try and connect for a hunt. My 7 year old has made every step with me starting last season.
I appreciate that bud!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
We got a big weekend at “squirrel camp” planned and I’m fired up and can’t wait. Weather is lookin good...hope the wind will lay for daylight.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Since acquiring our first squirrel dog back in January, "squirrel season" has a whole new ring to it for me and my son. We're both fired up about seeing this beautiful Cur do his thing!

Even so, I'll slip away and hunt the bushy-tails "old school" from time to time. Deer hunting is awesome of course, but there's just *something* about slowly moving through hardwoods with a shotgun or 22 over the shoulder, scanning the trees for an outline or the flicker of a tail.

Do you guys use a squirrel call? Growing up I didn't even know they existed, so I've never used one. But a friend of mine acted like I lived under a rock when he heard that! "You still-hunt squirrels without a squirrel call? Are you crazy?" He acted like only a moron would do such a thing.

Any other morons here? LOL

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Since acquiring our first squirrel dog back in January, "squirrel season" has a whole new ring to it for me and my son. We're both fired up about seeing this beautiful Cur do his thing!

Even so, I'll slip away and hunt the bushy-tails "old school" from time to time. Deer hunting is awesome of course, but there's just *something* about slowly moving through hardwoods with a shotgun or 22 over the shoulder, scanning the trees for an outline or the flicker of a tail.

Do you guys use a squirrel call? Growing up I didn't even know they existed, so I've never used one. But a friend of mine acted like I lived under a rock when he heard that! "You still-hunt squirrels without a squirrel call? Are you crazy?" He acted like only a moron would do such a thing.

Any other morons here? LOL
i could see the benefit of calling if you were having a hard time finding them. but even then i'd want to have a shotgun...once they start barking it's hard to catch em still with an open shot.

i much prefer to ease through the woods looking for bouncing branches, then slip right up under 'em and pick em off without them ever knowing what hit 'em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts