Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from camping overnight on the east end of Deer Island - that big concrete reef was right out in front of us. Had a great time but was not successful with the fishing.

My only previous experience fishing the MS Coast - I fished the SE point of Deer Island about 6 years ago and was able to get a small stringer of decent yellomouth specks, a nice red, and a couple flounder. maybe that was beginner's luck?

So yesterday, wade fished up and down the south facing beach and the point on the SE end of Deer Island - some serious effort using Cocaho minnows and "Champs." I caught one twelve inch speck and my buddy caught a few crusty catfish (he was using shrimp at times.)

We went about a mile out past that concrete reef and dropped some cutbait down for a couple of hours, hoping for something. Nadda! Then we tried the concrete reef for a bit (Katrina reef?) - caught another crusty catfish.

Waded out from the grassy SE point early this morning (wind was kicking up surf) - there was a good current pulling because of the tide and wind, water was cool but muddy. The water looked pretty good though, was sure we'd find a couple of specks or at least get a bite, but there was nothing at all.

Got in the boat, drifted up into the inlet in between the beach dunes and the grassy areas- nothing there either. Very shallow and had some fun trying to get the boat back out into open water (wind had kicked up bigger waves - we were bumping bottom coming out of the inlet)

Current rig is a 16 foot aluminum v hull, decent freeboard and beefy for its size, but I'm limited to Deer Island and the bay until I can get more boat under me. From what I've heard, Cat island is where you want to go for the best shot at speckled trout.

Anyways, does anybody have any thoughts or recommendations as to how to better fish Deer Island? I would really appreciate any info whatsoever.

I've been skunked before on fishing trips, I know its part of the experience, but I know my chances would be better if had more of a clue!

Also are there any good maps available online? I found a few outdated PDF's of the bay and around Deer Island, but that was it. I'd like to learn more about the area, hazards, etc.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I haven't fished much around Deer Island in years but bottom fishing random spots in the Sound "We went about a mile out past that concrete reef and dropped some cutbait down for a couple of hours, hoping for something. Nadda! " is an exercise in futility. Except for oyster reefs and man made structure the sound in essentially a mud bottomed desert. At one time there were some small oyster reefs along the shoreline of the south east side of the island but the dredging projects may have covered them up.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You wasn't the only one I fished on the 12th east Deer Island and it was mostly nada for me too , some days you just can't even buy a bite . I did catch one of the biggest gaff top catfish I've ever seen on a sinking jerk bait though .

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did catch one of the biggest gaff top catfish I've ever seen on a sinking jerk bait though .
Thats funny - Ive caught 10 or so on the same thing this spring. All were enormous. Ive questioned my sanity trying to get treble hooks out of a catfish just to save a lure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah- the hard top catfish my buddy caught were all way bigger than I'd seen before.

I'm gonna give it another go hopefully in a few weeks. Will hopefully have my depth finder rigged up on the boat by then.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Only areas I have really worked are the rocks on the west end and had luck occasionally drifting bait down close to grass bank in and outside of the cut you mentioned on SE. also would try banks and points N of that cut on E side. FYI this info dated as I have not fished that island in a while........

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’ve fished the rocks on the west end, both south and north sides. Never caught anything myself but sure are a lot of people fishing around there so you gotta wonder. There’s an oyster reef on the south side of the island right about in the middle. It’s marked with a PVC pipe. Some guys I talked with several times caught all the white trout they felt like cleaning there. I tried it a couple times and nothing but may have been wrong time/tide. Those guys fished early in the morning.

Those rocks on the west end are not Katrina reef. Katrina reef is off the Far East end of the Island about a mile or so off the island, you can’t miss it looking south from the East end.

I’ve only tried fishing there once and didn’t catch anything but it’s a little tricky to fish. You want to be close but really have to watch your boat so that you don’t drift/swing into the rocks.

I’ve heard that channel cutting in from the East side holds some good specks and reds but I haven’t been up in there, a little to skinny for my boat.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts