Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about purchasing one of those electric smokers from Basss Pro Shops or Walmart and was wondering if any of you have had any experiences with them. Im looking at the 179.00.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I have a brinkman. I don't think it was that expensive, but got it for christmas. It does good for deer and pork loins. It won't hold a lot of food. I did a rack of ribs the other day, but don't think I left them on long enough. They were done, but not super tender. I like mine for simple stuff and its small and you don't have to fool with charcoal or gas. One hickory nut will usually put enough smoke for me in tenderloins. I cup them in foil and lay on the element to keep the ashes out. I use my big charcoal grill if I want to do shoulders or a bunch or ribs and stuff.

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
duckslayer322 said:
I have the master built from bps and love it. Only thing that would make it better is a digital thermostat...
I put a Boston Butt on at 23:30 New Years Eve and slow smoked it all night and up till about 09:00 New Years Day. Then took it off wrapped it in foil and put back on till about 11:00. It really turned out good.
The only thing I did not like about the unit was the wood chip box is small.
Mine has the digital thermostat and electric setting it worked well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Limb Hanger, Im considering buying one. I was reading somewhere that the smaller the woodchips were in it, the better it would cook. Seems to be true according to what you are saying. You satisfied with the room and everything else though?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I sure hope those Masterbuilts with electric thermostats work well. I bought one over the holidays and it's still in the box. I've been using a Cabela's electric barrel-type top-loader and the bottom is nearly rusted out around the heating element. Still works, but it's a pain to load and unload from the top. Never had any complaints about the sausages though!

·
Premium Member
13,427 Posts
toddjinx said:
Thanks Limb Hanger, Im considering buying one. I was reading somewhere that the smaller the woodchips were in it, the better it would cook. Seems to be true according to what you are saying. You satisfied with the room and everything else though?
Yea I have used it on ribs and chicken since all turned out well...Main thing is control the air flow out the top to a min. the chips last longer and you get a slower smoke. As far as room you can move the racks but a large brisket will not fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Brinkman. I don't think it was that expensive but got it for Christmas. It does good for deer and pork loins. It won't hold a lot of food. I did a rack of ribs the other day, but don't think I left them on long enough. They were done, but not super tender. I like mine for simple stuff and it's small and you don't have to fool with charcoal or electric smoker gas. One hickory nut will usually put enough smoke for me in tenderloins. I cup them in foil and lay them on the element to keep the ashes out. I use my big charcoal grill if I want to do shoulders or a bunch of ribs and stuff.
Hello. I need some advice. I have narrowed down my choices to getting a masterbuilt 40" electric smoker. Now comes my question. Do I get the one with the window or the Cabelas version without the window? The one with a window appears to be wider and less deep, the Cabelas version appears to be narrower but deeper? Does anyone have or use these with any input? Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts