Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today that I'm nearly 56 years old and I have never seen a live rattler. I once saw a very 'recently' deceased one; the victim of a muzzleloader ball five minutes earlier on a December hunt near Rodney Ms.

I read all the time about people who see them, but I'm curious to ask if you have ever seen one (?) and if you did...near what closest town did you witness it? I'm just curious where they are most often seen in the state.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Stone county Lamar county line on 49. Stone county on hwy 26. Where I killed mine there were 2 more ran over within 50 yards. And stone county in my front yard.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I personally kill 7 or 8 a summer for the past 20 years at my place just south of Hattiesburg.. Very sandy soil, few creeks and 200 acres of pine plantation. I usually kill 2-3 more bonus snakes just out and about on the back roads around here. They are very very common here. I killed one over 5 ft in my yard last summer, it scares me to death letting my 3 year play in the yard.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Logged 10,000 miles in this state on foot (it seems) over four decades, never saw one. In fact, I've asked many of my friends...same response. Even my father who is 88 and was an avid outdoorsman much of his life has never heard of anyone seeing one. I hear that they have been seen near the Meridian area (as well as Scorpions).

I've hunted Montgomery/Choctaw county for decades...never heard of anyone seeing one there.

Note to self...do not relocate to Lamar County:)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am also interested in hearing from people who have never seen a rattlesnake. I think it's likely the majority of people. Just curious.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Hey string, I got a couple in the freezer you can have that would look awesome on your trad bows. One of them is the one that bit me last year

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I've killed them in Issaquena, Yazoo, Copiah, and Claiborne counties. I usually see one every year or two, but I have come across three this year, not sure why.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In fact, on a cool sunny day like today, about this time of day, at my local WMA, I think I could find one sunning on a certain gravel road near old timber.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
This is the time of year to see them. I have seen them all over stone, george, perry, forest, pearl river and lamar counties. I like jacob find it hard to believe you have never seen one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Last summer and early last fall I probably seen more rattlers than I ever have. Probably somewhere around 6-8 in just a month or so time period. This was all in kemper county around grown up pine plantation and cutovers.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Mark, I've been into snakes my whole life. I'm always looking for them any time I'm in the woods. I've only come across one Timber rattlesnake and that was off the Pearl river just north of Barnett. I've seen several Pygmy rattlesnakes on the Bienville WMA. Timbers are fairly common on St Catherine Creek NWR. Some of the guys I hunt with there see them every year.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Have saw two pigmy rattlers. One was dead in a road in eastern Monroe County. The other was off Keaton Tower Road on Noxubee NWR.

We used to be in a hunting club in eastern Monroe County that was ATE UP with timber rattlers. Saw several there and some of the other members even came across the dang things during December and January! There was a really rocky bluff on the edge of the Sipsy Creek bottom and a lot of rattlers were found around it. I guess there was a den there somewhere.

Also saw a few dead timber rattlers in Oktibbeha and Winston County off Highway 25. Never came across a live one but know people who have came across them on Noxubee NWR.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
timber rattlers...simpson co. scott co. rankin co. sharkey co.
cane break rattlers...copiah co.(copiah co. wma is full of them)
eastern diamondback...scott co. (caney creek wma) delta national forest

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well fellows...now you got me thinking about rattlesnakes. Honestly, the idea of them seems farfetched having never seen one. Ranks right up there with panthers...until now.

I knew that they were in southwest Ms from the experience I shared that happened 25 years ago. To Kmbrown's point, I heard our mutual friend "Bob" tell me that St Catherine had them. Yet the reports from Scott County (30 minutes from me), Barnett, Noxubee, and Kemper county surprises me. I could also see them in the Delta areas for some reason.

Still, it's odd that I have hunted clubs in several counties (including SW Ms) and never saw one. The club I am in that I spend most my time is in Montgomery and Choctaw counties and I'm most certain one has never been spotted...and that place is nearly 5,000 acres!

I would like to ask JCrob1 has he ever seen one near Decatur? (as I grew up in Union and still live near there)

Lastly, Jacob thanks for the offer on the skins but I'm not sure if I could deal with having a skin on my bow that actually bit someone; alternates between the mental concept of really cool.... and really creepy![biggrin] [biggrin] (LOL). You need to keep them and put them on YOUR traditional bows one day.

I guess I've learned a thing or two today. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I've killed 3 within 10 miles of my house in coffeeville. I've also killed one in Grenada

1 - 20 of 317 Posts