Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Five years after I started this post and at almost 61 years of age...I finally saw my first rattlesnake. I was hunting with a friend in western Hinds county and we hadn't gone 50 yards from the truck when we saw the small timber rattler sunning in a food plot. He was a littler feller...about 15" in length with just a button. Still...I can now say that I have seen a rattler!

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Mark, I can assure you western Hinds county has more and bigger ones than that! I think there is a connection between rattle snakes and the ground squirrel population.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Rattlesnake

While riding a 4-wheeler on my club last week I rode up on a 55" timber rattler crawling several feet off one of my food plots in Itawamba County. The speed with which he turned and went into a strike position with his head a foot off the ground when he saw me dismount was astounding, the blink of an eye. He soon settled into a coil rattling where I administered the coup de grace. Second one I have killed in two weeks. Step carefully out there!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was at Camp Shelby back in the late 80s when a work crew killed one of those giant snakes. They had a picture of it on the PX door. The snake was draped around the guy's neck. Both ends of the snake touched the ground. I do not know how long it was, but they said the guy with the snake was over 6 feet tall. It was also rumored that it had 4 inch fangs. Cannot confirm any of that except that I did see the photo at the PX. Every year while training, we would kill at least a half dozen.
I've seen a diamondback that was ran over on a road in Shelby. About 6-8 inches of the head and tail hung over the tail gate of a mid 90s F-150. Head was as big as a softball, and body was bigger than my forearm(I'm a big man 6'4" 350lbs)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #315
Few miles south of forest, hwy 501 area. Yea, very uncommon around here. The only other one I've seen was last year in the steele community area.
Steele isn't too far from where I live. Never seen one around here (or heard of anyone seeing one). I will likely be surprised one day.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I live in east central Rankin county and I’ve only known of one around here in my life. A pulp wood hauler ran over him on Shiloh rd about 25 years ago. He was around 5’ if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Around my place in Amite Co., the are plentiful now. Until 4 years ago, my neighbor has only seen one in the last 35 years. 4 footer taken out last Saturday afternoon.

301 - 317 of 317 Posts