Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
surehuntsalot said:
timber rattlers...simpson co. scott co. rankin co. sharkey co.
cane break rattlers...copiah co.(copiah co. wma is full of them)
eastern diamondback...scott co. (caney creek wma) delta national forest
Canebrake and Timber rattlers are the same snake. Just 2 different names.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Stringwacker said:
Well fellows...now you got me thinking about rattlesnakes. Honestly, the idea of them seems farfetched having never seen one. Ranks right up there with panthers...until now.

I knew that they were in southwest Ms from the experience I shared that happened 25 years ago. To Kmbrown's point, I heard our mutual friend "Bob" tell me that St Catherine had them. Yet the reports from Scott County (30 minutes from me), Barnett, Noxubee, and Kemper county surprises me. I could also see them in the Delta areas for some reason.

Still, it's odd that I have hunted clubs in several counties (including SW Ms) and never saw one. The club I am in that I spend most my time is in Montgomery and Choctaw counties and I'm most certain one has never been spotted...and that place is nearly 5,000 acres!

I would like to ask JCrob1 has he ever seen one near Decatur? (as I grew up in Union and still live near there)

Lastly, Jacob thanks for the offer on the skins but I'm not sure if I could deal with having a skin on my bow that actually bit someone; alternates between the mental concept of really cool.... and really creepy![biggrin] [biggrin] (LOL). You need to keep them and put them on YOUR traditional bows one day.

I guess I've learned a thing or two today. Thanks guys!
Stringwacker,
As of now I haven't seen any around the Decatur area, but I just started hunting around here. Just moved out here from Collinsville a few months ago. Now that I think of it, not sure that I've ever seen any around collinsville and I still hunt out that way quite a bit. Didn't realize that you were from union. Good to know!

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've seen a diamondback in Newton and Stone County, and timber rattlers in Rankin, Hinds, Lamar, Warren and Yazoo. I walked up on a young timber rattler hanging out on a tree limb last Thursday in Utica.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Jcrob1 if you want to know where they are in newton county (canebrakes/timber) they are more common in the southeastern part of the county. Working in taxidermy many have come from hickory/chunky area and south western lauderdale county . I use to hunt south of chunky and have seen 3 there. The other timber rattler I have seen in my life was last year in the delta. I have killed two Pygmy eastern diamondbacks in my yard in newton.

This is one from my yard 13 inches

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stringwacker said:
I am also interested in hearing from people who have never seen a rattlesnake. I think it's likely the majority of people. Just curious.
I'm 45 and live in Hinds County. I hunt, fish and do every thing short of running around naked in the woods. I've never seen a Rattlesnake. They're here though! I just thought I would add to your request for people who have never seen one, and I hope I don't.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Ive spent most of my 32yrs in the woods. I fish and I hunt everything possible(except ducks). Ive never ever seen a rattlesnake alive, and I want to. I literally look for snakes all the time. Its real funny, ive hunted Beinville and Caney Creek for years and have never seen one there. I live 5min from one and 10 from the other and ive never heard of one there (until surehunts post). I lived in Lawrence county 15yrs before I moved this way and never saw one there either. I saw one that was killed in simpson county once. Thats the closest ive heard of till now. I want to see one BAD! I want to catch one alive just one time!

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
water valley area . between Bynum creek and Chickasaw campground( 4) . better watch your step !52 inches and 12 rattlers and a button . like you I was 54 when I saw my first .In Monroe county cottonmouths/copperheads were plentiful though some have seen them there .

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Plenty timber rattlers in SW part of state,, seeing them run over on the roads is commen .
I've run across my share of them in the woods also ,,, they are not a welcome sight !

·
Administrator
8,595 Posts
About 10-12. Copiah, Warren, Hinds, Yazoo, and Oktibbeha (3 in one day there while riding bikes on John Starr Forest).

The burned an old camp building in Warren County when I was a kid and it was basically a snake roast.

·
Super Moderator
13,427 Posts
I seen plenty in Warren, Claiborne, Hinds, and Copia. If you spend much time in the woods in any of those counties. It's not a matter of if you will see one but when.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hinds, Issaquena, Leake, Attala, Copiah, and the biggest are in Claiborne. Pretty much any county that has a significant river flowing through it will have rattlesnakes also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Adams county and have hunted Adams and Jefferson county area for 30 years and have probably walked up on at least a dozen while hunting or scouting over the years. I have probably ran over and killed twice as many. I drove up on one on my atv about two hours ago. It was about a 3.5 footer. I do not kill them nowadays I just usually walk around thrm and leave them alone.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I turned 51 this year and probably been in the woods more than most and year round. I have seen plenty copperheads and cottonmouths in my day. Came across my first rattler about 150 yards from the front door of my camp house two months ago. It was 41 in. long and had 8 rattles and the button. A pretty timber rattler it was and I now have its hide hanging in my camp house. I really wish I had come across it several miles away though. I have been extra cautious the last few months.

21 - 40 of 317 Posts