Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
All over NW Hinds county.. Bolton/Edwards area.. have killed them from on the back door step all the way to the middle of the woods.. most don't rattle until you put a stout stick to their head

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
For the ones that live in rattler country and have never or rarely seen them I wonder just how many they have walked past and
never saw them? I'd bet that's most likely what is happening. They wear very effective camo. Also I think when you actually do
spot one that has blended in well your eyes (and brain) will know what to look for next time and I'd bet your sightings
increase. Also you can spend hours and hours in the woods during hunting season and you may well not see them. Spend plenty
of time in the woods in late spring through the summer and fall and possibly sometimes an early warm winter and
you should see them no doubt
....unless like I say your eyes and mind aren't accustomed to seeing them sitting in the leaves virtually motionless.
You spot one in a close situation I guarantee you won't have trouble spotting them thereafter. [cool]

·
Registered
525 Posts
Jeff Davis County... 5 miles north of Prentiss no one in my family has ever seen one in the immediate area dating back to 1935. South of Prentiss in the Bassfield/Carson area there are lots. We used to kill several each year on the way to and from school. Last year we lived there we killed 7 in the yard. I have seen one in Rankin county on Hwy 13 as well as one swimming the Pearl river around Georgetown. They are funny looking when they swim. They almost appear to float. I have not killed one since I was a kid and given the chance I wouldn't now unless it was in the yard.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I've done a fair amount of hunting over the years in Washington, bolivar, sunflower , leflore , Montgomery , Grenada , Carroll , and Holmes county. Never seen a rattler. With the amount of people that are seeing them this year, I will admit I have really been looking. I don't normally worry about a snake, this year seems alittle different .

·
Registered
946 Posts
davidp said:
I have killed two Pygmy eastern diamondbacks in my yard in newton.

I have heard them called Ground Rattlers or Pygmy Rattlers, but this is the first time I've heard them called this.[biggrin]

·
Registered
946 Posts
Country said:
I lived in Lawrence county 15yrs before I moved this way and never saw one there either.

Country, I can assure you around Arm & Oakvale they are an abundance of them. We hunted a place at Arm on the Pearl that the company I work for owned back in the 90's and killed several Timber Rattlers there my biggest was 5' 2" during one Bow Season crawled under the tree I was climbed up in and headed down the trail I walked in on. On another occasion one nearly bit me there in a field I was running a cruise line through while doing an inventory cruise hooked it in the high grass with my feet and carried it aways before I heard him come unglued, thank the Lord I had leggings on.[blink]

·
Registered
285 Posts
In my 46 yrs. I have seen several hundred, killed prob. 50 or so, caught 10 or 12, skinned several, stepped on a couple, and eat part of 1 (like chewing a cotton ball). Most of this in wayne, perry, and forrest county.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Varment said:
Country said:
I lived in Lawrence county 15yrs before I moved this way and never saw one there either.

Country, I can assure you around Arm & Oakvale they are an abundance of them. We hunted a place at Arm on the Pearl that the company I work for owned back in the 90's and killed several Timber Rattlers there my biggest was 5' 2" during one Bow Season crawled under the tree I was climbed up in and headed down the trail I walked in on. On another occasion one nearly bit me there in a field I was running a cruise line through while doing an inventory cruise hooked it in the high grass with my feet and carried it aways before I heard him come unglued, thank the Lord I had leggings on.[blink]
I lived and hunted in Silver Creek and New Hebron. I was in a lease in Jeff Davis county just across the line, never saw ant rattlers around that area. My buddy killed one in Shivers and thats the only one I ever knew of around there. I look for and can spot a snake but I just havent been fortunate enough to see one yet!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I spotted this handsome gentleman on the Natchez Trace about 5 miles south of Port Gibson. We agreed to play nice and after a few photos we went our separate ways peacefully.

I have hunted in swamp bottoms and on ridges in MS for 40 years and had not seen a live rattler until 2 years ago. I have now seen three of them, all Canebrakes, no Diamondbacks, yet.

FullChoke

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I have seen my fair share in Carroll Co. They still dont bother me near as much as cottonmouths which are much more numerous where I hunt.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,646 Posts
Ambusher said:
Dang Tap, that is one cool looking canebrake. Never seen one with that coloration.
Me either. She was almost grey and stood out like sore thumb. I can't believe I didn't see her sooner. [blush]

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
You just need to open your eyes Mark lol.

Lots and lots in Clarke County!
This little guy was on my carport a while back

This pretty boy was on Souinlovey creek about a year ago, I just took his pic and let him go.

Now here's a stud! About 5'6". He was at the end of my driveway I unfortunately had to whack this guy because some dogs were about to get hurt bad, I couldn't get them off of him.

I've found 4 at my house in the last 15 years, probably about fifteen more I've come across I'd say. It's hard to imagine not seeing one, you can't miss them on the road, they all lay straight and have their heads and tails up at the end.

Also was hunting the refuge while going to State and my buddy stuck one with an arrow and pinned it while he was in the middle of eating a squirrel. That was a sight! He had no choice but to keep swallowing, it's a one way street once you get so far down I suppose. Wish I would have had a pic of that one.

Oh yeah, the biggest I ever saw was pretty much a 6 ft diamondback on point road in the south end of Newton co, but that was 25 years ago. Haven't seen a diamondback since.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I guess Im like some of the other guys and have been lucky not to see one. Have had friends kill several but I personally have never seen one. Ive only seen one snake while turkey hunting (copperhead) nearly stepped on it. But never seen a rattler in many years of hunting, walking through the woods etc etc. I honestly hope it stays that way!!!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
You're missing out lol. Pretty cool coming up on a big snake like that, makes the hair stand up on your neck. Beautiful creatures just give them plenty of room lol

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
******* said:
You're missing out lol. Pretty cool coming up on a big snake like that, makes the hair stand up on your neck. Beautiful creatures just give them plenty of room lol
Id rather let my wife make the hair stand up on my neck [blush]

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
This has been a fantastic thread with all the contributions...no way would I have ever thought rattlesnakes were that abundant and geographically scattered in the state. I now know what a pigmy rattler is. Never knew they came with 'spots'

I do feel however that they exist generally in pockets; with one area having a 'infestation' while others may have little or none. Until I see otherwise, I think the areas I hunt and own have none. Just in case I'm wrong, please send flowers when you see my obituary one day from a rattlesnake bite! My widow will appreciate it.

Never saw one in a highway. I have hunted hard Claiborne County, Newton County, Starr Forest, Noxubee etc...never seen a hair of one. Yet, I feel that I eventually will see one as I get the feeling they may be becoming more dispersed. I REALLY have enjoyed the pictures and also comments from those who have never seen one (like me)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Mark it has been an interesting read. I didn't know so many had never saw one, I have no doubt you spend a lot of time in the woods, I guess they are really more in pockets than I thought. I've always known of areas thick with them, and yes in 8 years hunting hickory area I've yet to see one so it should come as no surprise that some areas are rattlesnake "poor".

But I promise there's something about encountering one that's full grown that is both fearful and awesome at the same time. They are apex predators and it's not like any run up on a little two foot copperhead I promise. Really cool creatures to watch. I hope you get to walk up on one sometime, of course watching it well in advance lol.

41 - 60 of 317 Posts