Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drew a quota hunt for a WMA in Florida. We also got lucky with a small parcel of private land about an 1.5 hours from the WMA. So, we were able to plan a 7 to 8 day trip. We found turkeys on the WMA immediately and decided to go to the more remote area to hunt. Turkeys would gobble on the roost, fly down to hens and shut it down. We did have one fleeting opportunity at a turkey on the WMA, but it just didn't quite work out.

We moved on to the private to scout Sunday afternoon. We saw tracks, but nothing gobbled Monday morning until around 9:30. He didn't gobble much and was between my position and my buddy's position. That evening I went back and called up an army of turkeys that came in behind me. They were literally 20 yards away, but I couldn't see them due to the palmetto thicket. I heard no gobbling or drumming. They just came in scratching around under the oaks.

The next morning we decided to try to focus on the same area. We heard 3 or 4 gobble, with two being close enough to make us think we had a chance. The gobbling stopped as soon as they hit the ground. I called up two jakes right off the roost, but I decided not to shoot. I don't have a problem with someone shooting a jake if it is legal. I just didn't want to shoot one that day. But, that made the trip a success because we measure success on these trips by opportunity, not spur length, etc. Based on the morning hunt, we decided to focus on a general area where we felt like the turkeys would come back to in the evening. About 5:30, I called up another jake and didn't shoot him. At about 6:07, I heard a shot about 150 yards from me. My friend got him coming off the back side of the little field area they seemed to be using. That completed his grand slam. We made a quick hunt on Wednesday morning and heard 2 gobble on the next property. They didn't give us the time of day. We hung around a little while, and decided to head back. We had a very good trip. We drank a little more beer than I realized.

Spurs: 1 3/8 and 1 1/4
Beard: 10 inches
Weight: 14 lbs.

·
Registered
655 Posts
That sucker has some hooks. Congrats and that is hunting. If it was just killing everybody would do it. haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts