Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of yall have been checking your deer in the game check app. I have logged both of my son's deer this year and I must say that MDWFP knocked that app out as it is as easy as can be. This could be a great management tool for our biologist if folks will use it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've used it last year for deer and also for turkeys when it was still voluntary. No excuse for anyone to not use it unless they're trying to hide something. It's super easy and like you said, a great tool.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
We record our turkeys and the state doubles the reported number. Turkey reporting is mandatory if I’m not mistaken. What’s the benefit of a voluntary deer harvest report? Serious question.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We record our turkeys and the state doubles the reported number. Turkey reporting is mandatory if I’m not mistaken. What’s the benefit of a voluntary deer harvest report? Serious question.
Serious answer - The benefit is to train the chimps to get used to the boot of the government upon your neck. Once you get used to it, they press down harder. Here are the real questions:

What will be the penalty for not reporting in 2025?
What will be the fine for falsifying location?
When will the deer processors become burdened with logging your deer reporting verification number before accepting it for processing, first optional, then paper, then required electronically? What will the fine be for them?
How much government do you want in your life, in your hunting? None is a good starting point.

How about this:
1) Seat belts just a good suggestion from government. (Wake up call)
Then
2) Secondary warning to a primary offense. Boot stretched out.
Then
3) Secondary ticket to a primary offense. Boot on neck.
Then
4) Now a primary offense. Boot pressed even harder. About $150 depending on county.

Turkeys, now Deer. Does anyone really think that it will stop there? Seriously?

By 2030 you will required to report every squirrel, rabbit, bluegill, dove, duck, catfish etc. and phase three will be any nuisance critters, armadillo, skunk etc. Failure to do so = $$$ fine obviously.

How have we manged to get by without this for 200+ years?

The deer processors will dwindle to 1/4 of what they currently are, so buy your equipment now and practice.

12 items or less becomes self checkout. The chimps are now trained, lined up, and obediently shuffling along.

OBEY AND DO NOT QUESTION THIS

Rant over.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s impossible to manage any population and make sound management decisions without data. This is as easy of tool to use as any I’ve seen around the country. I personally wouldn’t mind if they did make it mandatory. Currently there aren’t many tools our CO have to curb poaching.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
The state's "doubled" number is based on hunter harvest survey estimates. These are scientific, probability-based telephone surveys that most states use to some extent. Especially those states that don't have mandatory harvest/hunt reporting. These surveys are universally accepted in the wildlife management world. Even if the results are off a bit, they still provide very valuable information and trends.

We all know not everyone reports their turkey. A few holdouts likely never will unless they get caught. The real number of turkey harvested will be somewhere between the reported harvest and the survey harvest. Even if the survey harvest results are a bit high, we can still see trends in turkey harvest by comparing it to other years (as those years should be high on the surveyed harvest too).

Compliance with mandatory harvest should be increasing each successive year and a down the road, we will be able to get a MUCH more accurate picture of what is really going on.

Annnnnnnd, I just realized you asked the benefit of VOLUNTARY harvest reporting. But the above still explains the reported turkey numbers. Voluntary deer harvest reporting is helping people get familiar with the process of reporting game in case it does become mandatory.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
It’s impossible to manage any population and make sound management decisions without data. This is as easy of tool to use as any I’ve seen around the country. I personally wouldn’t mind if they did make it mandatory. Currently there aren’t many tools our CO have to curb poaching.
This. Take off the tin foil hat, its not about government overreach. Many other states have been doing this for A LONG time. It is amazing at what data some of those states publish and can provide. And they have enough information to justify adjusting seasons/bag limits as needed.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I’m not against data collection. Go to almost any other state and look at their game laws.

i personally don’t believe that just because there it’s a government regulation that it makes things bad or part of some future developing conspiracy of control. Without rule or law all you have is anarchy.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
For what it’s worth, I am all for a true tagging/reporting system. I feel with the number of deer killed in MS a voluntary reporting will not be enough data to do anything with. I guess it’s just a very slow start to some type of future mandatory reporting. Thanks for the responses. I’m all in on mandatory tagging. I’d love to have data broken down by county. That would be true data the state could actually do something with.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
[QUOTE="Stringwacker, post: 1953071487, member: 20341"Without rule or law all you have is anarchy.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly…as Billy in the movie “Tombstone” said…”We got to have some law.”

If it helps determining season and bag limits I’m all in. It’s bad enough with the laws that we have in place now that there’s still folks who shoot over the limit and whenever they feel like it. Just imagine if there were no rules or regulations…this isn’t the 1800’s where you had to kill to survive.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Face it, the biologist's crave data. Their whole existence is data driven. If you gave them a jaw bone, blood sample, tuft of hair and a sack of scat, THEY STILL wouldn't be happy.
AND, if you gave them all of that info and then some, what could they do with it? Nothing........................ but come up with more regulations, with NO guaranty that they will achieve the purported objective. Just a guess. What else could they do?

You do NOT want to know where this goes, look out west at the deer regulations, the draws for tags, the zones, districts, blocks, check stations, gland procurement. Fuggin' nightmare. Might as well sell your naught six now and buy some golf clubs.

How is it possible that the deer population has exploded since Christopher Columbus sloshed up on the beach without an app for reporting deer? Anyone?

What deer problem are we trying to fix? Anyone?

Hunting regulations should fit on a 3x5 card. If it won't fit then it's not needed

Currently there aren’t many tools our CO have to curb poaching.
Seriously? this app is going to curb poaching, ummm okay. I'd like to come over and tell you about an Amway opportunity if you have time.

If it helps determining season and bag limits I’m all in. It’s bad enough with the laws that we have in place now that there’s still folks who shoot over the limit and whenever they feel like it. Just imagine if there were no rules or regulations…this isn’t the 1800’s where you had to kill to survive.
Apparently they haven't had much difficulty in determining the season and bag limits thus far. Not sure if they've been using a Ouija board and a dead cat, but whatever they've been struggling with has been wildly successful. I have to shoo the pine goats out of my driveway to get to work. The "outlaw" consumptive mortality has remained a constant throughout millennia, hasn't phased the population one bit.

I’m not against data collection. Go to almost any other state and look at their game laws.

i personally don’t believe that just because there it’s a government regulation that it makes things bad or part of some future developing conspiracy of control. Without rule or law all you have is anarchy.
We should strive to NOT be like the other states, look at their regulations, unbelievably horrible. You want MORE government regulation? another Bernie supporter. Good read - "Unintended Consequences" by John Ross

Phase II - hunting license sales are down and we can't figure out why.:unsure:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It might be an interesting thought that by the turn of the last century game populations in this country were almost completely decimated. Whitetails in particular didn’t start to recover until game departments were formed and rule/law were established to bring back what we enjoy today. That wasn’t a fast process as I was 18 before I saw my first deer track. I promise you this didn’t happen with rules limited to an index card.

If our state was (or all states for that matter) the same from the delta to the coast; data collection would be less important. Yet deer densities, hunting pressure, hunting culture, soil, ag practices etc, etc beg for different solutions unique to an area in Ar, bag limits, season lengths or whatever. The management of a quality game herd under heavy hunting pressure likely requires more intensive wildlife directive that that of a fledging herd that needs protection and hunting is limited. Those “other” and horrible states offer incredible hunting opportunities and one only has to visit them to realize the difference. I might not like all the regs but they are unique to them to address the game dynamics in that area.

While I hate to bring it up, I seem to pick up an underlying political theme to some of the stated ideas. Nothing wrong with that as it what makes America the greatest country in the world…the ability to have your own viewpoint and share it. That said, I worry that we have become politically like warring tribes with one side seeing no redeemable quality in the other; each side out to destroy the opposing tribe. It’s not an original thought but I doubt our founding fathers envisioned the new democracy working that way.

This new “don’t touch me” rhetoric in terms of law and rule is being adopted by extremist on both the left and right politically….the only thing that changes is the subject
matter regardless whether it’s defund the police or the anti-vaxxer.. I think the American middle might be growing tired of all of it.

All that said I respect the viewpoint of every individual but I have to reserve judgement in a lot of cases.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Serious answer - The benefit is to train the chimps to get used to the boot of the government upon your neck. Once you get used to it, they press down harder. Here are the real questions:

What will be the penalty for not reporting in 2025?
What will be the fine for falsifying location?
When will the deer processors become burdened with logging your deer reporting verification number before accepting it for processing, first optional, then paper, then required electronically? What will the fine be for them?
How much government do you want in your life, in your hunting? None is a good starting point.

How about this:
1) Seat belts just a good suggestion from government. (Wake up call)
Then
2) Secondary warning to a primary offense. Boot stretched out.
Then
3) Secondary ticket to a primary offense. Boot on neck.
Then
4) Now a primary offense. Boot pressed even harder. About $150 depending on county.

Turkeys, now Deer. Does anyone really think that it will stop there? Seriously?

By 2030 you will required to report every squirrel, rabbit, bluegill, dove, duck, catfish etc. and phase three will be any nuisance critters, armadillo, skunk etc. Failure to do so = $$$ fine obviously.

How have we manged to get by without this for 200+ years?

The deer processors will dwindle to 1/4 of what they currently are, so buy your equipment now and practice.

12 items or less becomes self checkout. The chimps are now trained, lined up, and obediently shuffling along.

OBEY AND DO NOT QUESTION THIS

Rant over.
Agree 100% And I have nothing to hide.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is an image from my last hunt:

Hunting should not require an electronic device and we do not need any more regulations. It's just not that complicated. Some would have the state divided into 80 different "zones" with each having different regulations and some with draw tags for bucks. Others would require a doe kill before you get a buck tag. ETC. ETC. Pffffttttttttt

Has anyone tried to get a new person involved and tried to explain the current regulations? Wow, good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts