Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been reading this forum for a while now and just recently joined. I have limited inshore experience. Maybe caught a couple dozen Red's in my life until recently. I am a fly fisherman at heart and will always pick it up first if weather and conditions allow. I am from Ellisville and put in about a dozen trips over 3 weeks not to long ago, all to Gautier after Redfish. So here is what i experienced.
I started out fishing much the same way I do for bass in moving water with the exception of tidal movement. Both with light tackle and fly. On falling tide I did well with Deep down Clousers and weighted grass shrimp patterns. Also VuDu shrimp in Creole magic and Bass assassin Sea Shad in chicken on a chain. I rigged the sea shad with a weighted 1/0 jerk bait hook (1/8) and cut down on grass snags by 75%. I had my best luck at the mouth of the Bayous on falling tide.
On a rising tide it was game on in the bayous. Most everywhere 2 or more bayous intersected I found fish. I caught far more fish in the slot than not. Not as many specks as I was hoping for but that wasn't my Target. My best numbers day was 9 on the fly and the biggest was 29.5" @ 8lbs 11oz. To put it plain and simple I'm hooked. I work out of town a lot so it will probably be the 24th before I get back on the water. If you see somebody slinging a fly rod in 20mph winds that's probably me! I have a grey Alweld CC, so if some of you guys see me out there feel free to introduce yourself. Would be great to put some faces with the names. Until then I hope the information helps and entertains.

Most common size was around 18"19".

Best trout I caught, she was over by the shipyard.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great catch , congrats and welcome. I?m the same way , gone a lot , on a 9 week hitch in North Dakota now . I have a question , what do you have on your front deck , is that a mat of some kind . Reason I?m asking, no matter the shoe apparel , my back kills me after about 4-5 hours of fishing . Thanks and welcome again .

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Nice. I like the boat too. How do you like that 70 Yammie? My neighbor has one on his Alumacraft. I hear good things about it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Great report... I only have one question, how'd you train your dog to take those pictures? haha

I'm rarely on that area, but that sure is a nice catch!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Welcome. I'll see ya out there soon.
Nice post and pics. Sounds like you are ahead of the typical learning curve of a transplanted fisherman.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welcome to the bull. I too use the VUDU shrimp but mostly I’m natural color 3.5” on a popping cork or on the bottom as my go to when I start fishing new areas. The action on that lure is unbelievable.

·
Registered
16,287 Posts
Great post. You pretty much summed up fall/winter fishing in da bayou's. Freaking awesome colors on those reds.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great catch , congrats and welcome. I?m the same way , gone a lot , on a 9 week hitch in North Dakota now . I have a question , what do you have on your front deck , is that a mat of some kind . Reason I?m asking, no matter the shoe apparel , my back kills me after about 4-5 hours of fishing . Thanks and welcome again .
That is a 6mm foam decking. Its adhesive backed high density/EVA foam. I git it mostly to dampen sound. It is better on my back for sure. If you decide to go with it don't rely on the OEM adhesion. I used DAP Gel contact cement and brushed it on. Worked like a champ.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome first post. I fish that area a lot. If I see you I will stop and say hello.
Sounds like a plan. It's a large enough body of water that sharing information only helps. Jealous of that poling platform by the way. When it gets to bad for fishing I'm breaking out the TIG welder!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nice. I like the boat too. How do you like that 70 Yammie? My neighbor has one on his Alumacraft. I hear good things about it.
Thanks for the compliment. It's super basic and roomy just like I wanted. The motor performs just fine in my opinion. It's no speed demon but gets me from A to B just fine. I have a 13 and 15 pith prop for it. The I get a great hole shot ad peppy response on one end at 30mph max. And 37 mph max the other way with a bit of cavitation in heavy turns. Other than that it's really quiet with low vibration. Only time will tell!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome aboard!

Great report... I only have one question, how'd you train your dog to take those pictures? haha

I'm rarely on that area, but that sure is a nice catch!
That's my boy right there. If he can ride on it then he's game. I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand why I don't just spend all day riding around on something....anything. I have been a Heeler fan all my life.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome. I'll see ya out there soon.
Nice post and pics. Sounds like you are ahead of the typical learning curve of a transplanted fisherman.
Thanks a lot man. I have done hours and hours of research on Redfish migration and tactics. It took a while to break the habit of fishing around structure and have faith in the contour changes alone. I try to think more about the "golden rules" instead of how pretty a spot is. I was a bit hesitant to post this here because I mostly fly fish. But if it takes picking up my baitcaster to get a bite then I really don't care!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the bull. I too use the VUDU shrimp but mostly I'm natural color 3.5" on a popping cork or on the bottom as my go to when I start fishing new areas. The action on that lure is unbelievable.
It is a great bait. They are a bit on the expensive side but worth it. I fished Mobile bay some as well and we limited out on specks a few time. I have caught well over 200 fish on one bait. My buddy showed me a trick with gluing the jig head in the bait that quadruples its durability. I also have one that i trimmed most of the lower lead head off of for delicate presentations when sight fishing. Also try VuDu Mullet in the Cajun pepper with a chartreuse tail.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great post. You pretty much summed up fall/winter fishing in da bayou's. Freaking awesome colors on those reds.
I've read a lot of your posts. It will take a long time on the water before I know the Pascagoula system like you know your home waters. So do you think it's already to cold for me to catch some Red's in the shallows? I figured I would just need days with a lot of sun and wait until it warms the shallows up. That is if the wind isn't screaming through.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Sounds like a plan. It's a large enough body of water that sharing information only helps. Jealous of that poling platform by the way. When it gets to bad for fishing I'm breaking out the TIG welder!
I actually sold that boat. I thought I would love the poling platform but I never got a pole so it was in the way more than anything. If you don't plan to pole and use the TM build a platform on the front deck.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually sold that boat. I thought I would love the poling platform but I never got a pole so it was in the way more than anything. If you don't plan to pole and use the TM build a platform on the front deck.
I am definitely making mine removable. Plan on a slip socket in the back. I was also going to build a platform that cleared my TM at the same time. That was my original plan anyway. i went with a disconnect plate for my trolling motor and all RAM mounts in the front. That way I can get it as snag free as possible for my fly line. Was it mostly problems finding a partner to trade out pole time with?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Forgot to post my biggest fish last month. I got this on on the East side by the Escatawpa River.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am definitely making mine removable. Plan on a slip socket in the back. I was also going to build a platform that cleared my TM at the same time. That was my original plan anyway. i went with a disconnect plate for my trolling motor and all RAM mounts in the front. That way I can get it as snag free as possible for my fly line. Was it mostly problems finding a partner to trade out pole time with?
You're on the right track. I mainly fish with my wife if any poling was going on it was going to be done by me...... and not the good kind ha.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts