Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My granddaughter and her husband want to do some trolling. I have looked on uTube and they are using planers and extremely long leaders with many swivels. I hope it can be much simpler. I hope ya'll have some good ideas, I know you do! Thanks!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey JD,

I remember your posts from when this forum was more active. Good thing I get email notifications of new posts. I won’t say that I have everything down pat, but I have caught them using a “mackerel tree” and a no 1 or no 2 trolling sinker. Have had most success at S Side of islands trolling in 8-10 ft water but other folks seem to catch bigger ones than us. Can also end up catching blue fish. I would think if salinity high you could catch inside the islands. PM me if you want to discuss more. Learned this from a forum when I was planning a trip to Mexico Beach so may find more tips on you tube w Mexico beach Spanish search. You may have to order as mackerel trees as not common around here in my experience.

David

·
Registered
454 Posts
My granddaughter and her husband want to do some trolling. I have looked on uTube and they are using planers and extremely long leaders with many swivels. I hope it can be much simpler. I hope ya'll have some good ideas, I know you do! Thanks!!
JD you don't have to use planners but they do catch a lot of fish deep . on the charter boats we use to troll at least 6 lines at a time 2 on the rigger 2 long lines and 2 short . the riggers we use a trolling lead , their football shaped leads with brass eyes on both ends these were our surface baits with 2-3 ounces of lead next where the long lines with larger leads to fish the middle then there were the deep lines with planners close to the boat , the further you let them out the higher they rise so keep them short . tackle swivel on main line to avoid any line twist and another swivel at the head of the 30 lbs 8-10 foot leader because the spoons spin and definitely twist the leader. then either a 00-01-02 captain action spoon or Diamond squid spoons any bigger spoons your start catching things like bonita's and other undesirables . best place to go is outside Horn island in between the gullies , but you can catch them about any where's in the sound too . good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts